Thread: Is it safe to use scan for rootkit in SD

Default Is it safe to use scan for rootkit in SD

Is it safe to use scan for rootkit in SD Will any one tell What it does.

It simply scans for rootkits. Rootkits are malicious files. They are hidden, malicious files.

And yes, it is safe.

it shows some registry key is it safe to delete.

Registry keys aren't such a big deal, really. If it was in the memory, on the other hand, I would be worried. Delete it anyways, that's my choice. If you notice that the something is wrong in the registry, you can simply download CCleaner, install it, open it, hit "Registry", and search and fix.

If Spybot-Search&Destroy finds something, such as a rootkit, and it is deemed safe to remove, then remove it.

However, I would not recommend "cleaning" your registry. Registry keys are negligible in space. You may end up doing more harm than good. Moreover, registry cleaners don't actually "speed up" anything. It can clean and clean and maybe one day it deletes a critical Windows key out of a false positive, but by then it is too late.

Default What is a rootkit?

I think a rootkit (if it is installed) is worse than ordinary malicious files. Can malicious files if executed bring about the installation of a rootkit?
    I think having a rootkit means that some of your critical operating system is gone and replaced by files written by a hacker, the files do some of the things that the operating system is supposed to do (so that it doesn't seem like anything is wrong) but also allow the hacker to do things such as access your computer. The rootkit may also hide itself and other malicious files. Especially if the hacker has skillfully written the rootkit code not to be buggy.

Spybot moderators/experts--am I right about this?

Can having ordinary malware running on your computer cause a rootkit to get on it later on?

Sometimes if you think you have a rootkit would it be best to just wipe the harddrive and reinstall the operating system? Especially if you plan to do online banking?

Yes. All kinds of malware can download/install other kinds of malware. For example a Trojan can download and install a rootkit on your system. If you know you have malware on your system, the first thing you should do is to disable internet connection. If you are removing malware as your job/hobby, and you know your PC is infected with 10 pieces of malware, and you let your PC on for about one week, then you'll see/notice that the numbers of infections/malware/malicious files/spyware has increased dramatically. It may have reached 1000 tracks/pieces or more.