Thread: Question about updating Spybot

Default Question about updating Spybot

Hello,

I was just browsing through the site here to learn more about Spybot, and I came across this in reference to updating Spybot: "Since version 1.5 Spybot-S&D is kept up to date by the Updater, a separate tool."

I'm not sure what that means. I don't have a separate tool.

Am I missing out on something — or not doing something right? Do I need the separate updater tool?

I have always just clicked the Search for Updates button on Spybot's GUI and updated that way. So what purpose does the tool serve, then, since I can update right through the GUI? And what, if anything, does it do differently?

Thanks!

You do have the separate tool,it's in the Spybot folder.
    It's being used when you update through the GUI,so no need to do anything differently.

Quote Originally Posted by Zenobia View Post
    You do have the separate tool,it's in the Spybot folder.
    It's being used when you update through the GUI,so no need to do anything differently.
    Zenobia, thank you for explaining. I've never seen a program refer to its built-in updater before as a "separate tool," so that was kind of confusing.

That aside, I have two more questions that I'm hoping you can answer for me, please:

"Since version 1.5 Spybot-S&D is kept up to date by the Updater, a separate tool. To start it, please click on Update in the navigation bar. If you want to, you can also click on the button Search for Updates – then the window showing additional update types (2.) is skipped and you start immediately with the server list (3.)."

Sorry, but I'm not sure what that means (the part in bold, that is). On the GUI of Spybot, there are two update buttons, one in the center of the screen and another one off to the left. The above directions seem to imply that one button does something different from the other one (for example, it mentions something about "additional update types"). Is that true? Does one button do something that the other one doesn't? And if yes, what?

And my other question: I noticed that there are places where one can download updates manually, and in regards to doing so, it says, "Only needed for people who do not use the integrated updater." I don't get it. Why would anyone not want to use the built-in updater?

I've always wondered about that, so I figured I would finally ask.

I'd never noticed that before,to be truthful.
    I'll make Spybot offer me some updates,and see what happens.

No,both buttons take me to the server list immediately,so they appear to do the same thing.
    I'm trying to think back,and I think when pressing Updates on the navigation bar,it did open a starting window at one time.
    I'm just guessing,but what may have happened there was that changed over time,but the instructions were not updated,perhaps forgotten.

Some people do prefer to download the manual detection updates,just a preference,I guess.
    But there are also times when people might have experienced problems downloading updates through the program,an error,etc.,and having the manual detection updates available is a good way for them to still be able to receive the detection updates until the updating problems are fixed.