Thread: File sets - Only PUPS and usage tracking

Default File sets - Only PUPS and usage tracking

Hi. My daughter was having problems with Spybot - it was only reckoning to check 700+ items, so I downloaded and installed v 1.4, and updated. On checking the File Sets, it was showing only PUPS and Usage tracks sets to be available for use, and, despite rebooting the laptop several times, I have been unable to find any other detection sets. I can't select other sets, because they are just not there! I have tried looking for updates a few times, but it always tells me that we are up to date. I have also tried stopping and then reloading Spybot S&D, and, as I said, I have rebooted the laptop a number of times.
    Any ideas to help, please?

LDH

Spybot Advisor Team [Retired] md usa spybot fan's Avatar

The problem has occurred before after the installation of Spybot 1.4 and I am not quite sure what causes the problem. The problem has been solved in the past by using Method 2 below. However, if you are willing, I would like to see if Method 1 works and if subsequent updates work properly (should be this coming Friday).

Method 1:
    • Please try to download and execute the manual update file (spybotsd_includes.exe) from here:

The item (currently) is:
      • Detection updates 2005-11-25 - product description
        md5: 6995106F3F092A963C00D546AE2D5426

This updates the detection rules. Only needed if you do not want to use the update function integrated into Spybot-S&D.

• The direct download link (usually remains the same for all updates) is:

Method 2:
    • Exit Spybot.
    • Delete the following folders:
      • C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy\Includes
      • C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy\Updates
    • Start Spybot.
    • Go into Update.
    • Search for updates.
    • Check everything found.
    • Download updates.

Getting an answer is one thing, learning is another.

Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition running on a 2.40GHz IntelŪ PentiumŪ 4 Processor with 512 MB of RAM and a 533 MHz System Bus.

Thanks for the suggestions - I'll try to talk my lass through that over the phone, but if I can't explain it, I'll have to try it myself when I visit her in 2 weeks time. I'll try Method 1 first, and post an update.

LDH