Thread: Firefox 5

Default Firefox 5

I wonder if someone can clear up a mystery for me.

I have Firefox 5 , recently installed and since then, whenever I try to update Spybot, the number of inaccessible temporary files has risen dramatically to well over 670. Also, the protection for Firefox seems to be disabled.
    I might not be searching accurately enough for my answer but can't seem to locate one.

I would just like to reply to you and CONFIRM a part of the issue with FireFox v5.x

On an update, AND a FRESH install FireFox no longer appears in the "immunize" section...

Really sad, I hope for a client update or a faster v2 release schedule... (the beta updates are just WAYYYY to beta... Alpha / PRE Alpha even...)

Thanks for the update - clearly nothing wrong with the Spybot programme but Firefox people seem to have ma e a change to the way in which the security operates within the browser?

Hello,

Which version of Spybot-S&D do you run?

Best regards
    Sandra
    Team Spybot

Lightbulb

I think Spybot checks for some files in the user profile that do not exist unless the browser has been used at least once (I believe either cookperm.txt for ancient versions, hostperm.1 for Firefox 2, or permissions.sqlite for Firefox 3+); try launching Firefox 5 and then closing it, right after that fresh installation.

Protip: If you want to just add a whole bunch of domains to block in permissions.sqlite, like from Peter Lowe's Ad Servers, you can add them to a file called hostperm.1, then put it in your Firefox 3+ profile (deleting permissions.sqlite if it exists), start Firefox, and it will make a new permissions.sqlite file! Finally, close Firefox, delete that hostperm.1 file, and Immunize with Spybot again.
    I actually have a whole set of processes that I perform, adding domains from a series of block-lists and making sure to use every permission type supported by Firefox: cookie, document, dtd, image, install, object, objectsub, other, ping, popup, refresh, script, stylesheet, subdocument, xbl, and xmlhttp. My permissions.sqlite file ends up being almost 30MB, however, and although there is no noticeable slowdown in browsing or launching, it does cause problems with the ExExceptions extension...

Lightbulb

I just found out via about:permissions and an SQLite browser that there are two more permission types: indexedDB and geo.

I am using the latest RELEASE version listed on the front page of the official SpyBot S&D website (v1.6.2.x)

I have run FF, the "entry's" for immunize for FireFox still do not appear...

Hello,

Have you already used your browser?
    The needed files for the immunization are only being created after you have started your browser for the first time.
    Please surf to a site like PC World for example, so the cookies are being set.

If that does not help please try the new SDImmunize from our version Spybot 2.0. You can download it here.

Best regards
    Sandra
    Team Spybot

Sandra

Sorry - hadn't noticed the replies to the thread. I am using Spybot S&D 1.6.2. Still getting the problem.

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by lewisje View Post
    I just found out via about:permissions and an SQLite browser that there are two more permission types: indexedDB and geo.
    Also the MDN docs say there are two more: font and media.

Also the actual permission names are objectsubrequest and xmlhttprequest, it's just that Adblock Plus uses abbreviations in its filter syntax.

I was misled by the ABP syntax, because for a while I thought there was also a background permission type, but instead there are these 20, not all of which work in all versions of Firefox:
    cookie
    document

dtd
    font
    geo

indexedDB
    install
    media
    object
    objectsubrequest
    other
    ping
    popup
    refresh
    script
    stylesheet
    subdocument

xbl
    xmlhttprequest

The options in green appear to be valid for Firefox 2, the black options were added in Firefox 3, the orange options were added in Firefox 3.5, and the purple options were added in Firefox 4.
    Also, I have tested and domains with the trailing dot are considered distinct from domains without one (blocking google.com does not block google.com.).

Additionally, if a certain domain is blocked, so are all subdomains (blocking google.com also blocks www.google.com and encrypted.google.com), just as in the Restricted Sites list (and unlike the HOSTS file), and I imagine that some of the Immunization entries for "Domains" and "Secure Domains" and the Firefox immunizations could be optimized with this in mind, like if a certain domain is included in the Immunization list then no subdomain is also included.