Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 67891011 LastLast

Thread: Blocked from running Spybot or any other malware remover

Okay, I downloaded Revo Uninstaller. Unfortunately, it does not list SpyBot under the list of installed programs on my machine. Yet the file is clearly there in my "Program Files" folder on the C: drive.

--Ryodin

Greetings Ryodin,
    One more thing.

Boot to Safe Mode and delete them. If no joy:
    How to set, view, change, or remove file and folder permissions in Windows XP
    (Pro/Home)
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/308419

HOW TO: Take Ownership of a File or Folder in Windows XP (Pro/Home)
    http://support.microsoft.com/default...b;en-us;308421

How to set, view, change, or remove special permissions for files and folders in
    Windows XP -
    http://support.microsoft.com/default...b;en-us;308419

Let me know results please.

The reboot in Safe Mode didn't do the job. So I clicked on the first link and couldn't quite follow what the instructions were asking me to do. The Security Tab it speaks of doesn't appear in my folder properties, and I couldn't find the check box I need to uncheck to gain access to the tab.

The other two links didn't work for me. I think it has something to do with the ellipses in the URL.

All I want to do is get rid of the faulty OTL files from my desktop. I've already figured a workaround the Spybot problem by renaming the folder in my Program Files. After that, I was able to install a fresh copy of Spybot and run a scan last night.

--Ryodin

Greetings Ryodin,

Your Java appears to be down level.
    Navigate to Control Panel Add Remove Programs.
    Highlight each Java item listed then Remove or Uninstall.
    Visit this site to down load and install the latest Java.

Now to clean up our tools.
    The following will implement some cleanup procedures as well as reset System Restore points:
    • Disable your AntiVirus and AntiSpyware applications, usually via a right click on the System Tray icon. They may otherwise interfere with our tools
    • See this Link for programs that need to be disabled and instruction on how to disable them.
    • Remember to re-enable them when we're done.

Click Start > Run and copy/paste the following bolded text into the Run box and click OK:

ComboFix /Uninstall

Next
    The following will remove OTL, exehelper, TDSSKiller, & GMER. Let me know about the problem folder after running the following.
    Clean up with OTL:
    • Double-click OTL.exe to start the program.
    • Close all other programs apart from OTL as this step will require a reboot
    • On the OTL main screen, press the CLEANUP button
    • Say Yes to the prompt and then allow the program to reboot your computer.

Next
    To remove Hijackthis do the following:
    • Click Start Control PanelAdd or Remove Programs
    • Click on Hijackthis
    • Click on Remove
    • When done close all windows.
    • Navigate to C:\Program files\Trend Micro
    • Delete the Hijackthis folder.
    • Close all windows.

On your desktop find RKill.exe/com/scr, right click and click on delete.

On your desktop find aswMBR.exe, right click and click on delete. Do the same for aswMBR.txt

On your desktop find Maxlook.exe, right click and click on delete.

On your desktop find Dial-a-fix.exe, right click and click on delete.

You should keep Malwarebytes and ESET. Updated and run them on a regular basis to keep your pc malware free.

At Last
    From the look of your logs are finally, All Clean and the machine seems to be performing as it should. You know how much work and effort you've had to put into getting it back into working order, so hopefully you can impress upon the others who use this machine, to be more careful.

For the future safety of this machine and your data, try to ensure they sit down and read the following threads: (it won't take them very long)

Cracked/Illegal Software

Perils of P2P File Sharing

Think Prevention

If there aren't any more problems, we have some final housekeeping to tend to now.

To help protect your computer in the future I recommend that you follow these steps and look into the following free programs:

* Microsoft Windows Update - http://www.windowsupdate.com
    Visit regularly. This will ensure your computer always has the latest security updates. If there are new updates to install, install them immediately, reboot your computer, and revisit the site until there are no more critical updates.

* SpywareBlaster to help prevent spyware from installing in the first place. Install & update SpywareBlaster with the latest definitions. After you have updated, click the button - enable protection for all unprotected items.
    o SpywareBlaster is a preventative program. It sets flags in the registry to prevent the running of a specific list of bad spyware related ActiveX controls. It will block any bad ActiveX from running in Internet Explorer and Firefox if it's listed in their database (which you should update frequently). To view their database and list of restricted sites, launch the program and click on each of the tabs on the main display page.

* WOT, Web of Trust, As 'Googling' is such an integral part of internet life, this free browser add on warns you about risky websites that try to scam visitors, deliver malware or send spam. It is especially helpful when browsing or searching in unfamiliar territory. WOT's color-coded icons show you ratings for 21 million websites, helping you avoid the dangerous sites:
    o Green to go
    o Yellow for caution
    o Red to stop
    WOT has an addon available for both Firefox and IE.

* Scan here http://secunia.com/software_inspector/ for out of date & vulnerable common applications on your computer

If the OTL2 folder won't remove, let me know there may be one or two more tricks we can try.
    Please post any more questions or issues please let me know.

I was able to remove everything from off your list except for that OTL.exe file which is in the OTL2 folder. I forgot to mention that I had yet another bad OTL.exe file in another folder: C:\Documents and Settings\David Batista\Desktop\Logs\OTL.exe

The faulty OTL.exe on my desktop, the newer "good" version of OTL, exehelper, TDSSKiller, and GMER were all removed, however.

So, as of now, the only files I cannot delete are the 2 OTL's and the Spybot.

I will look into all the suggested links and preventative programs tomorrow and over the weekend.

Thanks, redcar! And let me know what last remaining solutions I might have at my disposal for removing those files.

--Ryodin

One more thing. You asked me to keep Malwarebytes and ESET, but I don't believe I have these. Where can I get them?

--Ryodin

Greetings Ryodin,
    Let's go after OTL2 first, if it works we will do the rest.
    Press the WinKey + R to open a run box, then copy/paste the following single-line command into the Run box and click OK:
    cmd /c del /f/a/q “C:\Documents and Settings\David Batista\Desktop\OTL2\*.* /s”

Press the WinKey + R to open a run box, then copy/paste the following single-line command into the Run box and click OK:
    cmd /c rd /s/q “C:\Documents and Settings\David Batista\Desktop\OTL2”

Let me know if this works, if so we can do the others.

Next
    Please download Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware from Here.
    Double Click mbam-setup.exe to install the application.
    • Make sure a checkmark is placed next to Update Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware and Launch Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, then click Finish.
    • If an update is found, it will download and install the latest version.
    • Once the program has loaded, select "Perform Quick Scan", then click Scan.
    • The scan may take some time to finish,so please be patient.
    • When the scan is complete, click OK, then Show Results to view the results.
    • Make sure that everything is checked, and click Remove Selected.
    • When disinfection is completed, a log will open in Notepad and you may be prompted to Restart.(See Extra Note)
    • The log is automatically saved by MBAM and can be viewed by clicking the Logs tab in MBAM.
    • Copy&Paste the entire report in your next reply.

Extra Note:
    If MBAM encounters a file that is difficult to remove,you will be presented with 1 of 2 prompts,click OK to either and let MBAM proceed with the disinfection process,if asked to restart the computer,please do so immediately.

Next
    Please use Internet Explorer to download and run the following scan: Eset Online Scanner
    • Place a check mark in the box YES, I accept the Terms Of Use
    • Click the Start button.
    • Now click the Install button.
    • Click Start. The scanner engine will initialize and update.
    • Do Not place a check mark in the box beside Remove found threats.
    • Click the Scan button. The scan will now run, please be patient.
    • When the scan finishes if there are any infections you will see a List of found threats.
    • Click Export to text file
    • Copy and paste the contents of the C:\Program Files\ESET\log.txt into your next reply.
    • If no threats are found there will be no list, this is good, just tell me that no threats were found.

Logs to post:
    • mabam.txt
    • results of ESET scan
    • results of run command

Thank you, thank you, thank you! That seemed to do the trick! Both corrupted files of OTL are gone now. There are no more. The only suspect file left is the Spybot one.

I'll download and run Malwarebytes and Eset next, and paste the logs in a follow-up reply.

--Ryodin

Here is the log from the MBAM scan:

=========================================================
    Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware 1.51.1.1800
    www.malwarebytes.org

Database version: 7640

Windows 5.1.2600 Service Pack 3
    Internet Explorer 8.0.6001.18702

9/3/2011 1:24:21 AM
    mbam-log-2011-09-03 (01-24-21).txt

Scan type: Quick scan
    Objects scanned: 193765
    Time elapsed: 11 minute(s), 30 second(s)

Memory Processes Infected: 0
    Memory Modules Infected: 0
    Registry Keys Infected: 1
    Registry Values Infected: 0
    Registry Data Items Infected: 0
    Folders Infected: 0
    Files Infected: 0

Memory Processes Infected:
    (No malicious items detected)

Memory Modules Infected:

Registry Keys Infected:
    HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\AppID\{B0E43034-50F5-1F84-8098-824B44F2DBC3} (Adware.Admedia) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

Registry Values Infected:

Registry Data Items Infected:

Folders Infected:

Files Infected:
    =========================================================

--Ryodin

Finally finished running the ESET scan. No threats were found!

--Ryodin