Thread: Wingdings in place of any text

Default Wingdings in place of any text

I turned my computer on this morning and discovered to my dismay that ALL the text I could see after startup was in wingdings text (or something similar). I was using internet explorer last night for some light browsing of random stuff yesterday so I suspect a virus of some kind. I was able to load and run AVG and Spybot S&D although I couldn't actually read the results.
    I have no idea what happened but I was able to do a reinstall of Windows 7 Ultimate.
    I only post this so that you can start researching a fix and stop this from happening to anyone else.
    Thanks,
    Kevin

Hello Xerious,
    Quote Originally Posted by Xerious View Post
    I only post this so that you can start researching a fix and stop this from happening to anyone else.
    Thanks,
    Kevin
    Thank you for reporting but it would be difficult for our detectives to research a fix without files to examine.

The issue described can happen for various reasons, how is the computer running now?

Best regards.
    Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2018-
    Windows Insider MVP 2016-2018
    Microsoft Consumer Security MVP 2006-2016

I have crashed computers very badly several times and never had this many problems before. I reinstalled my Windows 7 upgrade disk and it kept all sorts of data I wasn't sure was safe. I installed Spybot S&D 2 and set it up in a similar fashion to Spybot S&D 1 and installed Firefox (the latest version). Everything was fine until I logged into an email checker and it something decided My 3rd party cookies were not acceptable and completely shut down my ability to log into gmail. I removed all the programs I had never used and was still locked out.
    I pulled out Windows Vista and set it to fresh install and get ready to just install everything from the ground up to Windows 7. I planned to use the back up from my portable Terra drive to restore my system to where I was comfortable.
    My system won't install any hardware and can't use the wireless connection anymore. I am now updating Vista on a 100 foot cable so I can restore my computer.