Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cannot Remove Temporary Files at Beginning of Scan

Default Cannot Remove Temporary Files at Beginning of Scan

Greetings! I've been a happy user for some time, but seem to have hit a snag.

When I "Check for problems", the program will count the number of files in the temporary folder and then ask if I want to delete them. Some time ago I started to recieve an error that would tell me "1300 files are in use and cannot be removed." I have tried using the option to run the scan at start-up and this hasn't helped either.

If there is anything that you can do to help, I would be very grateful, I think this issue may be slowing down my computer quite a bit.

Last edited by tashi; 2011-09-16 at 06:12. Reason: Cancelled, wrong topic :-)

Hello Gokuhan,
    Quote Originally Posted by Gokuhan View Post
    Some time ago I started to recieve an error that would tell me "1300 files are in use and cannot be removed."
    From Spybot-S&D?

Best regards,
    Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2018-
    Windows Insider MVP 2016-2018
    Microsoft Consumer Security MVP 2006-2016

Quote Originally Posted by tashi View Post
    Hello Gokuhan,

From Spybot-S&D?

Best regards,
    Hello, Tashi. Yes it's from SB-S&D. When I click "Check for problems", Spybot will count up the number of temporary files and asks if I want them removed, saying that it will speed up the scan. When I click 'Yes', but will process and then say that the temp files were in use and could not be removed. I will include a screenshot put on photobucket.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/10...kuhan/SDSS.jpg

Hello Gokuhan,

Did you have all browsers closed before attempting to remove the temporary files?

Best regards,
    Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2018-
    Windows Insider MVP 2016-2018
    Microsoft Consumer Security MVP 2006-2016

Also all other identities/accounts logged off than the admin account being used to run Spybot? (Not just "switch user"ed)

Yes, all browsers (and other programs) are closed when I run a scan, and this PC only has 1 user, which is the admin account.

You could try to use a different tool to delete temporary internet files, such as CCleaner, and see if Spybot manage to delete the temp. files the next time you scan. Maybe there is a file inside the temp. files that are confusing Spybot. Just a wild guess.

Quote Originally Posted by imageek View Post
    You could try to use a different tool to delete temporary internet files, such as CCleaner, and see if Spybot manage to delete the temp. files the next time you scan. Maybe there is a file inside the temp. files that are confusing Spybot. Just a wild guess.
    CCleaner from piriform?

Got it, used it, and it worked. I was able to run SB without the error. The handy CCleaner even fixed some registry errors I had. Thanks!

You're welcome!