Thread: Laptop running super slow

Default Laptop running super slow

It started few days ago. My laptop became very hot and very slow with just nothing apart from google chrome with 1 tab open and Windows Live Messenger running. I have tried running scans with antivirus and antispywares and no virus were found. I had to use Balanced mode and even when watching a movie it lags every few minutes. is there any solution apart from formatting? the hard disk part is the hottest and sometimes it just shuts off due to overheating. when I try to shut down manually, I get BSOD with IRQL_EQUAL_OR_LESSER

taphss.sys

I am using Windows 7 Professional 64 bit, core i5 2.27 GHz, 4GB DDR3.

Slow pc's can be caused of several reasons. Open the task manager and see if something unusal is using a lot of CPU.
    Last edited by imageek; 2011-09-12 at 18:54.

i have scanned several times and all those processes are known. there isnt much running as well. however, i did realised that theres several taphss.sys in my hard disk. only 1 is normal and the others arent am i right? How do i remove that?

ive scanned the hard disk with spybot s&d but it doesnt indicate anything about the taphss.sys
    Last edited by alphonso89; 2011-09-13 at 01:53.

Hello alphonso89,
    Quote Originally Posted by alphonso89 View Post
    the hard disk part is the hottest and sometimes it just shuts off due to overheating. when I try to shut down manually, I get BSOD with IRQL_EQUAL_OR_LESSER

taphss.sys
    That sounds like a possible driver error, please consider starting a topic about the issue at a site with volunteer techies. A forum at WTT: General Hardware

Best regards.
    Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2018-
    Windows Insider MVP 2016-2018
    Microsoft Consumer Security MVP 2006-2016

Default Who is the manufacturer of your laptop?

I knew Asus, Sony laptop's has problem with overheating. My laptop is Dell it never became hot even though I turned it on for 16 hours. Check your manufacturer and update your BIOS. You mentioned your laptop is running very slow, may be your files are defragmented use Disk Defragmenter this solves your problem. Before defragment clean temp files using diskclean. My suggestion is don't use third party registry/disk cleaners unless you are familiar with those third party tools. These tools may screw up your registry.
    Last edited by rameshp2ppu; 2011-10-07 at 22:54.

Hi there,

Sticky in this forum: Registry Cleaners, not recommended

Default Laptop running super slow

Quote Originally Posted by tashi View Post
    Hi there,

Sticky in this forum: Registry Cleaners, not recommended
    Wow, tashi, the information in that link was eye-opening! This is something that every computer user should read!

I've been a regular user of a popular registry cleaner for years and (knock on wood) have not had any problems with using it. But after reading those links in your post, it makes me have second thoughts about using it at all.

After reading what Kat had to say about CCleaner, I've uninstalled that program from my hard drive. I've had the same misgivings as she about that program after I first installed it, and have never really ever used it. It doesn't tell you anything about the "errors" it supposedly wants to remove, so after doing a scan, I just backed out and didn't follow through, not know what kind of damage it might wreak if I allowed it to delete the entries it picked.

The cleaner I've been using at least points out what entries it's targeting, so I can see that when a file has been either moved or deleted that that might cause slowing if that entry is not removed. So, I had a little more confidence in its choices. But now I'm having second thoughts about even that.

But after reading those links, I just might leave things alone.

This quote from Bill kind of sums things up.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bits from Bill
    I’ve found there are two ways which really make a difference in Windows performance.

One is more memory. When recommending new computers, I usually suggest available funds be put towards extra memory rather than a faster processor.

The second is getting rid of the additional programs that run at Startup. While you may think me biased, I don’t think I’m alone on this one. I’ve been reading a lot of articles recently about crapware or craplets being installed on new computers.

Most tech heads agree on these two, but there’s still some debate about Registry Cleaning and Disk Defragging.
    The OP might want to check his computer's Startup list to see if there's anything that can be removed that might speed things up a bit.

Hi there,
    Quote Originally Posted by Brent1 View Post
    After reading what Kat had to say about CCleaner, I've uninstalled that program from my hard drive.
    I haven't, I just ignore the registry cleaner.