Thread: Used SD on Windows 7 PPPOE, lost internet access

Default Used SD on Windows 7 PPPOE, lost internet access

I used HijackThis and Spybot search and destroy. When I finished, I rebooted and could no longer acccess the internet. However, I can connect fine with Linux (ubuntu). So, I know the problem isn't with the ISP. I have done multiple tests and troubleshooting ideas. I uninstalled and reinstalled drivers for the networking controller, I put in the password and account info in case SD or HijackThis removed it. It shows it is connected and it seems like I am receiving data in properties for the network connection, however when I go to the browser nothing will load in Windows 7.

What should I do?
    Last edited by jadarite; 2011-09-13 at 05:12.

Default Found the solution

I came across a site, http://support.microsoft.com/kb/299357 , that gave two solutions. One was to use a program called "Fix It", this did not work. After an hour (I don't know why I chose to wait), I figured I might as well do it manually.

The instructions said to click to the command prompt, but you need admin rights, so it's easier to just go to: All Programs, Accessories, and right click "Command Prompt". Choose "run as admin". Then type in: netsh int ip reset

Wait, and then restart, do it all again, but instead type in: netsh winsock reset

Restart again, and if you are lucky as I was, internet pages should load.

The problem was a result of Spybot and in addition there are a few things it picked up as false positives. For example, I use Tencent QQ, and just like China is blocking things outside of their country, it seems that Spybot is behaving the same way towards China. Nothing major is lost, probably need to just reinstall QQ.
    Last edited by jadarite; 2011-09-13 at 06:03.