Thread: new beta 4 was an epic failure for me

Thumbs down new beta 4 was an epic failure for me boot.ini problems

i insalled it set the settings then i clicked manage atomtic start ups then i got the blue screen of death so as its rebooting as i see my desktop i see SB S&S doing some little scanning thing on the botum of the screen for a second (this is probley when the problem happend ON FIRST REBOOT) so i tried to view my startups again, so again blue screen of death!!!!!! so on this next reboot i get a message saying boot.ini file is missing or invalid so then it boots up on the rong drive so for some reason SB S&D compleatly deleted the command lines and rewrote my boot.ini files on all my active bootable drives and on the system drive i was booted on when it happened spybot added 2 command lines that also made that boot.ini become unusable luckily i had saved back ups of my boot.ini files so i will show what im taliking about now........................................................................................................this is my boot.ini i use on all my bootable drives and it has always worked...............................................................................................[boot loader]
    timeout=5
    default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(5)partition(1)\WINDOWS

[operating systems]
    multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(5)partition(1)\WINDOWS="WINXPOLD2" 3
    multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="WINXP OLD" 2
    multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(5)partition(1)\WINDOWS="3" 3
    multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect
    C:\CMDCONS\BOOTSECT.DAT="Microsoft Windows Recovery Console" /cmdcons

................................................................................................................below is what spybot did to this file on the drive i was booted on...........

[boot loader]
    timeout=5
    default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(5)partition(1)\WINDOWS

[operating systems]
    multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(5)partition(1)\WINDOWS="WINXPOLD2" 3
    multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="WINXP OLD" 2
    multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(5)partition(1)\WINDOWS="3" 3
    multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect
    C:\CMDCONS\BOOTSECT.DAT="Microsoft Windows Recovery Console" /cmdcons

[spybotsd]
    timeout.old=5

..................................................................................................................................ok as you can see it added 2 lines.................................

this is what it did to the boot.ini files on all my other bootable drives that were active ......

[boot loader]
    timeout=30

[spybotsd]
    timeout.old=30

so as you can see SPYBOT deleted all the command lines and rewrote them to be a compleatly useless and unusable boot.ini file this to me is unacceptable i ever want anyone or any thing or any piece of software to ever edit my boot.ini especially without even knowing or consenting it just did this all by itself with out my knowledge or consent i dont no WHY SPYBOT S&D WOULD DO this to me that felt just as malicous as the spywere we all strive to get rid of so i will never ever use use SPYBOT S&D again for the fear that this would just happen again and were as i hav'nt used use spybot in a long time im not shure wich version would be safe and do not want to take a chance again
    Last edited by dudenasty; 2011-12-03 at 23:53. Reason: better title

Default the files

here is my boot.ini files the good one and the 2 corrupted ones