Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: SDFSSvc.exe using 25% of my CPU

Default SDFSSvc.exe using 25% of my CPU

Hello there,

I was looking at my resource monitor yesterday and noticed my CPU usage was unusually high. With an idle computer it was at 25%. I have an i3 processor and I don't think that it should be that high when idle. Running Windows 7 x64 and Spybot Search and Destroy 2.

When I checked the running processes I was surprised to find that the SDFSSvc.exe was the one shooting the CPU usage to the roof. As far as I understand, that's the Spybot scan service that gives you live protection (not the on demand scan.) I do not recall Spybot ever using so much CPU. When I turned it off, the usage went to the normal 4% or so when idle (well it fluctuated obviously when I tabbed around, opened browsers etc.)

Is there a way to fix this issue? I run some heavy games, such as Dragon Age, Crysis 2, etc., and design software like the Adobe CS. I really don't want 1/4 of my CPU to be taken up by a background service, it defeats the purpose. It's like you don't allow malware to overwork my computer but the program that should counter that is just as "bad" in terms of resource usage.

It's the first time I have had complaints about Spybot, it's always been my favourite anti-spyware. Any ideas?

Full specs:

Windows 7 Home Premium SP 1 64 bit
    Acer Aspire laptop with an Intel i3
    4GB RAM
    Last edited by Xariann; 2011-09-21 at 16:48.

Hello,

I would recommend to try the new Beta 4.

Best regards
    Sandra
    Team Spybot

Quote Originally Posted by spybotsandra View Post
    Hello,

Best regards
    Sandra
    Team Spybot
    I'll try it out, thanks.

In a system (with 4 CPU core AMD 955) using Win 7 and attached hereto as CPU usage is 25% constant. and use the BETA 4
    In another system, old laptop (Celeron), Win 7, the CPU usage is constantly at 100%
    I find it quite strange that I plan to start profitable deals is always scanned.
    Regards
    Last edited by bacillo48; 2011-10-16 at 22:55.
    GLM

Quote Originally Posted by spybotsandra View Post
    Hello,

Best regards
    Sandra
    Team Spybot
    Tried beta 4. My CPU shot to 70%. I am not sure what is going on there, could NOD32 maybe conflict with Spybot?

It's the program itself (spybot). It still need some time to get ready for release. I think they have still some work to do when it comes to the CPU-usage, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by imageek View Post
    It's the program itself (spybot). It still need some time to get ready for release. I think they have still some work to do when it comes to the CPU-usage, etc.
    I figured it's the program, I said that, hehe.

I guess I'll wait for final release.

Quote Originally Posted by Xariann View Post
    I figured it's the program, I said that, hehe.
    My apologizes.

Quote Originally Posted by Xariann View Post
    Tried beta 4. My CPU shot to 70%. I am not sure what is going on there, could NOD32 maybe conflict with Spybot?
    uninstall only the service scanner, if I can!: Polizia:
    GLM

Default SDFSS crashes and Live Protection Misery

Win XP 64 bit AMD x4 8Gb RAM

The Live Protection in Beta 4 is a total failure in my experience. First my speedy machine crawls at boot time, because this crap scans every file it comes across. Attempts to turn it off via right click on tray icon, fail. I have also disabled this in the settings, but it comes back on every time. Cursing does not help either : ). It's the most frustrating piece of crap I have seen in a long time.

First of all it is badly designed. Like the good firewalls, it should ask me about each program so I could indicate that program "A" is ok, I know all about it, I installed it it is always safe. Nor could I find anywhere in the settings where I can list the "safe files".

Instead of booting up and running my temp cleanup and defrag routine in under 2-3 minutes. Live Protection does not allow me to to all this in even 10 minutes. This is UNACCEPTABLE. Plus the SDFSS crashes, and then usually it no longer bothers me.

Thanks for the hard work on Spybot, but Spybot 2 has been nothing short of disaster for me. The earliest beta made my system unbootable, and I had restore Windows from an image backup. It's now much better, but it still is somewhat unusable right after booting.

The interface in general is very poor -confusing and overly complicated.
    The biggest problem however is the Live PROTECTION. Please make sure it can be turned off.

Thanks,

Dan