Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Spybot incompatible with Avira antivirus.

Arrow @ rattlesalamander

Dear rattlesalamander,
    there is the same funktion in Spybot SD under Tools / IE tweaks / Lock Hosts file read-only as protection against hijackers.
    Turning this ON in Spybot and disabling in Avira works fine on my system.
    Immunization finished 100% including Hosts file!

Hope this helps

Quote Originally Posted by zrafta View Post
    Dear rattlesalamander,
    there is the same funktion in Spybot SD under Tools / IE tweaks / Lock Hosts file read-only as protection against hijackers.
    Turning this ON in Spybot and disabling in Avira works fine on my system.
    Immunization finished 100% including Hosts file!

Hope this helps
    Zrafta, thanks for your suggestion. Telling the truth, I hadnt the chance to experiment the settings you mentioned, since I actually opted for a more practical solution: I installed a 'all in one' program, AV + firewall. Lighter, fast and flawless.
    Once one planned to install either an AV and a firewall, there's no reason on earth for installing two discret software, often conflicting one each other.

Ciao

In fact, Avira does not only recommend disabling Spybot, their installer window may state that it must be uninstalled. (unconfirmed) Referenced here -- http://forum.avira.com/wbb/index.php...99#post1129399
    Quote Originally Posted by Avira
    This can lead to a conflict with Avira modules and it may affect your system's performance.
    ***quoted from an Avira KB article, recently updated.: http://www.avira.com/en/support-for-...etail/kbid/973
    This isn't the worst of Avira's malware-like behavior. I have previously uncovered the included Ask.com (IAC/Ask.com) toolbar resolving geo-location info (& likely recording my IP address, as this is needed to x-reference from a database) before any Terms of Agreement, or user-input can be made.
    referenced from here --> http://forum.avira.com/wbb/index.php...hreadID=136682

I have been successfully been running the latest version with Spybot 1.6.2.46 & TeaTimer since Avira_Free_AntiVirus_2012 released in early October. As noted above, i have the Hosts file locked in Spybot & unlocked in Avira.
    http://forum.avira.com/wbb/index.php...00#post1130400
    One side-effect is that TeaTimer seems to only detect malware after the malware has closed.

Personally, i consider Avira to be technically malware based on Wikipedia's defining phrase 'dishonest malware IMHO. How odd, Safer Networking currently advises using Avira, why they hate Spybot, i do not know.

Can anyone help me out to see if they have the same keys (&/or %temp% files) i uncovered at [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Ask.com.tmp] during install?

I will do a full exposé in an independent topic at a later date.
    Last edited by TechDud; 2011-12-02 at 20:51.

Quote Originally Posted by spybotsandra View Post
    Hello,

Thanks for reporting.
    We have contacted Avira about this issue and are looking forward what they have to say.
    From our point of view there should not be any problems with the compatibility.
    Any news on this?

I always used AVG for virus protection on my PC, as well as ran Spybot S&D etc. .
    Now that I run on Mac OS X with VMware Fusion port into Windows 7 64x, I run Sophos Anti-Virus. Is there any need to install Spybot in Windows if I never access the internet from there specifically? I just want to make sure I'm not being dumb by not installing it within Windows.

Thanks in advance!