Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Spybot-S&D 2.0 Beta 4 release thread

Is it running as an administrator? Usually programs can't write to Program Files under Vista/7 unless they are ran as administrator.

Default A little slow, may not have elevated privledges?

I just installed the beta on a new laptop. Here are the few things I noticed.

I didn't think to update before scanning. It might be good to include an automatic update or a dialog box to suggest an update after install and before first scan.

At the end of the scan, I saw error dialog at the bottom indicating that it could not create/save the log file. This sort of acted like a hung process. Only way to proceed was to close the scan.

I know I read somewhere that the app can (will?) request privilege elevation, but that did not happen in my case. No dialog box, and probably running with "base" admin authority.

I also got the error reported by others saying that updated files could not be saved. However, when I hit the update button again, it appeared to successfully update.

One other note, I did not reboot or log off after installing. I would hope that would not have an impact on privileges, but just in case...

AMD A8, Win7 logged in with admin priv.

Quote Originally Posted by Arctucas View Post
    However, I am hoping other users will provide input regarding their experiences with the Rootkit Scanner.
    When will the standalone RootAlyzer be updated? The latest version 0.3.4.47 has been released in 2009 ...

Default Spybot 2 bloatware

This program has become a huge, over-stuffed piece of real Bloatware. It is highly confusing, and doesn't even clearly spell out what it is doing or can do. It can slow down machines to a crawl or crash them. I was shocked at this huge piece of bloated software from a previously good Company. Of course I got rid of it as quick as possible before damage could be done to my system....

Quote Originally Posted by firefox007 View Post
    This program has become a huge, over-stuffed piece of real Bloatware. It is highly confusing, and doesn't even clearly spell out what it is doing or can do. It can slow down machines to a crawl or crash them. I was shocked at this huge piece of bloated software from a previously good Company. Of course I got rid of it as quick as possible before damage could be done to my system....
    Hello firefox007,

Since registering you've posted similar comments several times, other members responses September 2011 here.

If beta testing isn't for you please feel free to use the stable 1.6.2 version.

Best regards.
    Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2018-
    Windows Insider MVP 2016-2018
    Microsoft Consumer Security MVP 2006-2016

I realize it is none of my business, and at the risk of falling into disfavor with the moderators and staff, I am going to agree with firefox007 in the regard that I also believe that 2.0 (if it continues as it is) may be a failure due to the apparent goal of making it a 'do-all/be-all' application.

All I, personally, need is an application to compliment, a 'second opinion' if you will, my AV and MalwareBytes. A simple scanner would suffice.

Having been a user and proponent of SBS&D for a while (I have a copy of version 0.9.0 backed up on CD somewhere) I must say I am somewhat disappointed the direction it has taken.

Of course, this is only my personal opinion, and I do not expect my remarks to in any way influence the continued development of the application.

Hi Arctucas,

I'm sure all constructive feedback is appreciated by the developer and detectives.

Cheers.
    Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2018-
    Windows Insider MVP 2016-2018
    Microsoft Consumer Security MVP 2006-2016