Thread: TeaTimer memory use

Default TeaTimer memory use

TeaTimer is consuming 73MB of RAM -- is that normal? And if it is, why?

You don't have to worry. It's normal. The memory usage from TeaTimer can vary from computer to computer. Almost every computer have more than 1gb of ram these days, and the ram is there for a reason - being used. I agree the memory usage is a bit high compared to competing companies, however as I said earlier, the technology has reached a low-level which is pretty "high". With this, I mean the cheapest computers, etc, have more and more ram in-built. Not a single computer should have problem with running Spybot, remember if your pc is running slow, it's most likely a malware infection or a running process which use a lot CPU(not ram).

Yes, but still: if it eats more RAM than competing sware, in what ways is it superior, if at all?

If I were you, I'd wait for a reply from one in the Spybot team. Moreover, if you are dissatisfied, you can disable Teatimer by going into Spybot - Mode - Advanced Mode - Tools - Resident.

Keep in mind the version 2 is in beta mode, which means it's not many months before a public version will be released. Hopefully in the new version the memory usage is lower, even though I doubt you will notice a difference.

The reason I came here to ask is to get an answer before I disable anything.

If the greater consumption of memory provides better or more functionality, fine. Then there is no reason to disable.

So I am waiting for the team to respond.

Hello,

When the computer is running for a long time without a standby, reboot, or shutdown memory consumption of a (refers to any) can slightly increase.

It's taking that much because TeaTimer is a Resident Shield that actively protects you from malware. I would suggest you reboot and see how it goes. Usually TeaTimer will take up 35-50MB of RAM. Seeing that modern PCs built today have more RAM and resources, 80MB should be nothing.

If this does not help you can disable TeaTimer as follows:
    - Go into Spybot - Mode - Advanced Mode - Tools - Resident.
    - Uncheck the following: Resident "TeaTimer" (Protection of over-all system settings) Active.

Best regards
    Sandra
    Team Spybot

Do you have any information on memory consumption by other programs that fulfill the same function?

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by oaooao View Post
    Do you have any information on memory consumption by other programs that fulfill the same function?

Thanks.
    You should be able to get that information from the publishers of the other programs.