Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: CNNIC.Searchbar

Emeritus

Hi noblemind,

Did you follow the directions I gave you for sfc /scannow?

I sure did. I noticed when the chkdsk runs, there are several deleted .dll indexes and orphaned files. I don't know if that helps in any way.

Emeritus

Hi noblemind,

Let me make sure that I understand you correctly. You followed my directions for sfc /scannow. Did you also run chkdsk? If you ran chkdsk as well did you use /r with it as well? If you didn't don't do that yet, just let me know.

I did run chkdsk, but not with /r. I will do that and get back to ya.

I tried to run the chkdsk /r and the computer froze, so I had to reboot it. Then I tried the sfc/ scannow twice and the computer blue screened both times. The computer is 7 years old, and I am concerned that the hard drive may be going bad.

Emeritus

Hi noblemind,

I think you may be right. Lets take a look.

Please download HD Tune (the free version not the trial), run an error scan on your primary harddrive (full not quick) and report back if any blocks aren't green. It tests your hard drive for bad sectors.

I attempted to run the HDTune trial. It ran for about 1 minute then gave me a read error and the test could not be completed.

Emeritus

Hi noblemind,

I think that this is definitely a hard drive problem, but I am still researching. I would definitely backup everything NOW just to be on the safe side. I will return shortly.

After you get whatever you need backed up, please boot into Safe Mode and then try chkdsk /r again. Let me know what happens.
    Last edited by jeffce; 2011-11-08 at 16:10.

I backed up my drive and ran the chkdsk /r in safemode. The computer locked up in stage 4/5 and I had to do a hard reboot.

Emeritus

The computer is 7 years old
    Seems like you do have a failing hard drive. I have asked some of the tech experts to look at this and they do agree that this is what is happening.

You should stop all other use of your computer and focus on complete backup of any and all important saved files, media, messages, tunes, documents, etc. that you wish to keep.
    Back-up should be to an external Hard Drive or similar removable media.

I recommend you use Puppy Linux to do your backup, since it runs from optical disk and RAM, not touching or interfering with the hard drive (which is failing)

Puppy Linux

Why go to the trouble of using Puppy Linux?
    Because if your HD really is failing, then it only has a short period of time left as functional... short-time-to-die.
    Running your Windows and software to accomplish back-up will stress and possibly use-up your remaining HD functionality.
    Puppy Linux will not further stress the HD.

If you already have your important files backed up... then good for you and ignore my comments.

Replacing a Hard Drive is relatively simple, even in a Laptop.
    And Hard Drives are relatively inexpensive to purchase for replacement.

The time-consuming part will be reinstalling your Operating System (Windows), updating, and all of your application software programs.

Sorry you are probably facing the above scenario.