Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: false positive: error nuker

Default false positive: error nuker

trek blue error nuker is a false positive

I bought it to clean my registry, which it does perfectly

http://www.errornuker.com/

go there to make sure
    Last edited by sneaky13; 2005-11-29 at 01:51.

Hi Sneaky13,

This is why Trek Blue Error Nuker is targeted by Spybot:

A pop-up caused by CoolWWWSearch.Aff.Winshow urges the user to download ErrorNuker in order to clean unwanted registry entries from the system. Having had to accept an unsatisfying privacy policy and having installed the program the PC is being scanned and 2 or 3 pseudo threats are reported. If the user tries to fix those a dialog pops up telling him that the threats cannot be fixed using the test version and that he will have to buy the full version for about 40 EUR.

And here is another story about Trek Blue:
    "The advantage of wisdom is that you can always act the fool. The opposite is quite tough."

K. Tucholsky

Please help us improve Spybot and download our distributed testing client.

on top of that when you erase error nuker ( evaluation version) they ask you why

I answered it's far too expensive

so they sold it to me something like 3 times cheeper
    Last edited by sneaky13; 2005-11-29 at 17:38.
    they didn't know it was impossible so they achieved it

Hi

I have also just installed Trek Blue's Error Nuker - a registry analyzer/fixer. I was a little suprised and concerned when I saw that S&D identified it as a threat. From the answer submitted above - I do not understand how this is a threat. What is malicious about Trek Blue's Error Nuker? I installed it because it was very highly recommended out of a list of about 10 registry cleaners.

I understand that there was a dispute about S&D's spyware/bot database being used without consent by Trek Blue - but was this ever cleared up?

So - is Error Nuker itself a threat? If so, what is the threat? I have paid for the full version - if it is genuinely bad then I will ask for a refund.

Hello.

I thought Buster explained why Trek Blue Error Nuker is targeted by Spybot quite well in his post above.

However we do encourage members to make up their own mind as to the software they install.

Cheers.
    Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2018-
    Windows Insider MVP 2016-2018
    Microsoft Consumer Security MVP 2006-2016

Right - so Spybot not only targets genuine spyware/adware, it also targets programs that support spyware/adware. Amazing. That is quite an ethical stance.

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by User2
    Right - so Spybot not only targets genuine spyware/adware, it also targets programs that support spyware/adware. Amazing. That is quite an ethical stance.
    I have been in contact with Trek Blue, particularly Error Nuker's support staff about this matter.

They did not deny that this has happened but they claim that the link was provided by an affiliate company, that the link has now been removed, and that the affiliate company has been banned from further association with their product.

Taking this information into account, perhaps you could update your database accordingly after you have investigated this matter further?

Folks, for an idea of companies that "never know" they appear in affiliate sites, maybe you could have a look at this post from Mark Russinovich:
    http://www.sysinternals.com/blog/200...onspiracy.html

If you want to see how money flows, in case you don't know this link
    http://www.benedelman.org/

I think you'll agree that things aren't that clear and vendors aren't that innocent... better purchase SW from very reputable companies. AV products now can do some scan for parasites, some firewalls have antispyware modules and specifically for malware that's not virus you have ad-aware, this Spybot and Ewido as credible companies, etc.

Don't buy the first thing you see in the net!

C.

Quote Originally Posted by cvalde
    Folks, for an idea of companies that "never know" they appear in affiliate sites, maybe you could have a look at this post from Mark Russinovich:
    http://www.sysinternals.com/blog/200...onspiracy.html

If you want to see how money flows, in case you don't know this link
    http://www.benedelman.org/

I think you'll agree that things aren't that clear and vendors aren't that innocent... better purchase SW from very reputable companies. AV products now can do some scan for parasites, some firewalls have antispyware modules and specifically for malware that's not virus you have ad-aware, this Spybot and Ewido as credible companies, etc.

Don't buy the first thing you see in the net!

C.
    Well, I researched the program and it had come very highly rated.

Personally, I am still waiting for a response from one of the Spybot team - if Error Nuker's Tech Support's statement is true, then Error Nuker will be removed from the database. If not - they should post back here and tell us if the statement is bogus.

Question

Hi again

Has anyone looked into this yet? I have just scanned my system with the latest updates and it has highlighted Error Nuker again. If the Spybot team still considers this program to be classified as spyware I would like to know - I do not wish to support such software and will ask for a refund and uninstall it from my system.