Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: false positive: error nuker

Quote Originally Posted by md usa spybot fan
    User2:

You have posted nine (9) times in this thread asking why it is targeted or if it is still targeted since Buster provided that explanation.

I am curious if in the two months you have been posting here whether or not you ever contacted Trek Blue and asked them if the statements by Buster were valid and if so why they can not control their advertising affiliates from pushing "Error Nuker" via seemingly deceptive practices.

If you feel the detection is a false positive or if you do not want Spybot alerting you, Spybot provides a facility to either:
    • "Exclude this detection from further searches"
    • "Exclude this product from future scans"

Please avail yourself of those options.

Thanks for taking the time to reply to my question. Post number 7 states that I have already contacted Trek Blue's Tech Support about this. I pointed them to this thread and asked them to comment about the information given here.

Specifically, their response was:

"This is all hear say- the truth is that an unauthorized party that sing (sic) up as affiliate promoted our program via a net work that we have clearly stayed away. Since then we have removed the link and band the member from any business with us."

What I wanted was a response to this - as I clearly stated in the earlier post. If no one replies to this, or checks it, how am I supposed to know if Spybot have looked into this again? If this is a false positive, as seems the case from Trek Blue's response, then surely it is in Spybot's interest to rectify this. However, if Trek Blue's statement is untrue, then I need to know so I can uninstall this software.

As was stated in a previous post - Spybot provide this service - with that service comes responsibility. Spybot's users therefore rely on Spybot to make informed decisions about what is malware - and if Trek Blue's software is malware then we should be told.

The information I have provided was posted after, and in response to, the initial reply.

So, once again, what is Spybot's reply to this? Are Trek Blue lying? Or are they telling the truth? Is Spybot's information outdated?

I am not having a go at Spybot - I just wish someone would acknowledge this and state that Spybot is either re-evaluating Error Nuker, or that the re-evaluation has taken place and the software is either still classified as malware or is safe (ethically ) to use.

As to your last paragraph - I have already stated in post number 13 that I have done exactly that.

So, what's it to be?
    Last edited by User2; 2006-03-12 at 14:03.

Quote Originally Posted by Buster

This is why Trek Blue Error Nuker is targeted by Spybot:

A pop-up caused by CoolWWWSearch.Aff.Winshow urges the user to download ErrorNuker in order to clean unwanted registry entries from the system. Having had to accept an unsatisfying privacy policy and having installed the program the PC is being scanned and 2 or 3 pseudo threats are reported. If the user tries to fix those a dialog pops up telling him that the threats cannot be fixed using the test version and that he will have to buy the full version for about 40 EUR.

And here is another story about Trek Blue:
    Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2018-
    Windows Insider MVP 2016-2018
    Microsoft Consumer Security MVP 2006-2016

I give up - your inability to provide clear information about this is extremely frustrating. You provided a response to the inital query, I asked Trek Blue for information about that and posted it, and then you keep repeating the initial response without commenting on Trek Blue's response.

I should state that I have no vested interest here. I could care less about the software or whether Spybot detects it - but where I see an injustice or bad logic, I have to voice my opinion..... (OK, well, actually, I don’t like Trek Blue as a company, but that’s another story that doesn’t factor into this)

Because an advertisement shows up in adware is not proof positive that it's bad. I've even seen McAfee, Panda, Earthlink, etc. advertised through adware. Affiliates are notorious for slipping your ads into adware inventory even when expressly forbidden to.

Because it uses the business model whereby it will scan, and then ask for money to clean is also not a valid reason. You'd have to flag about 1/2 of the Anti-Spyware Apps out there if that were the case. You'd also have to flag Registry Mechanic by PC Tools and Registry Cleaner by Software Online.

If they (Trek Blue) use actual false positives to induce purchase - then that's very bad behavior making it a fraudulent act. That would warrant reporting them to the FTC, but not flagging it as spyware, malware, or adware (what is it flagged as?). But I don't see anyone making any definitive claims that it's an actual false positive here. Do I? Anyone?

It seems to me that logic, rules, and criteria are not dictating the decision to 'detect' it, but rather a personal bias because of a past altercation with the company over a separate product. Perhaps the right question to ask here is: Tell me which targeting criteria it fails and why?

http://www.safer-networking.org/en/t...icy/index.html

So the bottom line here is that Spybot will never give an objective determination of the product, so, yes, it's time to give up on this. You should go elsewhere for guidance on whether it is quality software or not. Unfortunately I can’t give you any advice in that regard. I have only ever used registry mechanic and it screwed my system up so I don't use anything now.

I am glad I am not the only one thinking this.

Seems pretty obvious to me that when someone responds in a childish fashion (i.e. by not responding intelligently), their argument is usually without basis.

I am also beginning to think that the lack of an intelligent response is due to 'sour grapes' because of a previous dispute with Trek Blue.

Well, I just got that detection for the first time today (I really don't know why since I haven't been anyplace other than my usual haunts - I AM trialing the "Pro" version ofSUPERAntiSpyware, however since yesterday: http://www.superantispyware.com/ ).

I sent off a bug report (which can be ignored, now that I've read this).

As long as letting SBS&D delete the key doesn't harm anything, system-wise, then I really don't have a problem letting it fix it (why would one want an un-needed registry-key, anyway? What's the point in having/leaving it?).

At any rate, I posted a question about it to that program's developer here:
    http://www.dslreports.com/forum/rema...96639~start=40 . Pete

Exclamation Missing the point

User2 are you employed by Error Nuker ?
    Seems to me you want to defend the indefensible. Spyware or not, if you follow the previous posts and links it becoms obvious that Error Nuker is a rip off of SpyBot S&D (and an old one at that) and the many "user" recommendations are being spamed from BlueTrak. Which leads me to wonder about your bonafides! If nothing else you are paying the wrong people. Since SpyBot is free and asks only for donations, why pay ripp off merchants like Blue Trak?

Quote Originally Posted by RedRoo View Post
    User2 are you employed by Error Nuker ?
    Seems to me you want to defend the indefensible. Spyware or not, if you follow the previous posts and links it becoms obvious that Error Nuker is a rip off of SpyBot S&D (and an old one at that) and the many "user" recommendations are being spamed from BlueTrak. Which leads me to wonder about your bonafides! If nothing else you are paying the wrong people. Since SpyBot is free and asks only for donations, why pay ripp off merchants like Blue Trak?
    I love you guys. You are like md usa spybot fan - you have not read the thread before posting. I am fully aware of Spybot's history with Trek Blue (not Blue Trak). This is why I think this is simply 'sour grapes'.

Your comments are insulting.

I was simply asking for a response to this stuff. It is obvious to me that no further investigation has taken place, and is unlikely to.

Take your useless, childish comments elsewhere.

Spybot Advisor Team [Retired] md usa spybot fan's Avatar

User2:

My sincere apology for having made suggestions in a post nine months ago about a course of action that you could take in regard to the detection of SpywareNuker in Spybot, when in fact I overlooked statements among the nine posts you made prior to that indicating you had already pursued those measures.
    Last edited by md usa spybot fan; 2006-09-15 at 20:31.

Getting an answer is one thing, learning is another.

Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition running on a 2.40GHz Intel® Pentium® 4 Processor with 512 MB of RAM and a 533 MHz System Bus.

To be honest, I thought this was dead.

I honestly don't really have much of a problem with the whole thing - I just don't like people extracting the urine or being rude. Comprende?

Seen as this is going nowhere, maybe this thread should be locked? S-S&D sure as hell are not interested in it.