Thread: false positive: error nuker

Smile

See what Eric Howe has to say about Spyware Nuker:
    http://www.spywarewarrior.com/rogue_anti-spyware.htm
    Change is inevitable except from a vending machine
    IE7Pro user

Spybot Advisor Team [Retired] md usa spybot fan's Avatar

YoKenny:

The discussion in this thread was concerning Trek Blue's Error Nuker, not Trek Blue's Spyware Nuker product

The Spyware Warrior List of Rogue/Suspect Anti-Spyware Products & Web Sites that you referenced de-listed Trek Blue's Spyware Nuker product.

Trek Blue's Error Nuker is a registry cleanup tool not an Anti-spyware product.

Getting an answer is one thing, learning is another.

Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition running on a 2.40GHz IntelŪ PentiumŪ 4 Processor with 512 MB of RAM and a 533 MHz System Bus.

Well, I have simply excluded it from the list of 'malware' threats that S&D detects :D

However, I shall be checking back here occassionally to see if and when Error Nuker is reclassified.

So, any news yet on Error Nuker? Is it malware? Is it bad? Should I uninstall it?

Again?

Quote Originally Posted by Buster
    Hi Sneaky13,

This is why Trek Blue Error Nuker is targeted by Spybot:

A pop-up caused by CoolWWWSearch.Aff.Winshow urges the user to download ErrorNuker in order to clean unwanted registry entries from the system. Having had to accept an unsatisfying privacy policy and having installed the program the PC is being scanned and 2 or 3 pseudo threats are reported. If the user tries to fix those a dialog pops up telling him that the threats cannot be fixed using the test version and that he will have to buy the full version for about 40 EUR.

And here is another story about Trek Blue:
    Quote Originally Posted by tashi
    Hello.

I thought Buster explained why Trek Blue Error Nuker is targeted by Spybot quite well in his post above.

However we do encourage members to make up their own mind as to the software they install.

Cheers.
    Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2018-
    Windows Insider MVP 2016-2018
    Microsoft Consumer Security MVP 2006-2016

Actually, if you go to SpywareWarrior.com you'll find that Spyware-Nuker has been de-listed as a rogue. See http://www.spywarewarrior.com/rogue_....htm#de-listed

Furthermore, it is a common tactic by "registry cleaner" applications to find errors, but not fix them until you pay. Registry Mechanic by PC Tools (a reputable company) uses the same tactic.

And don't get me started on the advertising networks, they're so screwed up that even reputable companies like McAfee and their Anti-Spyware product show up as an advertiser in Adware apps.

But the real problem here is objectivity. It seems pretty clear to me (IMHO) that Spybot is harbouring a grudge against this company (despite it having made significant changes) and as a result is handing users biased and misleading information. So what you say? Users can make their own choices? Wrong. Users rely on Spybot to make those kind of choices for them trusting Spybot to give the the correct information. And it just doesn't appear to be happening (in this case).

Note: This is in now way an endorsement in favor of Regsitry Nuker or Spyware Nuker - I have no idea whether they are good or bad apps. My point here is that the industry needs and requires unbiased and accurate information.

Quote Originally Posted by theCaptain
    ... But the real problem here is objectivity. It seems pretty clear to me (IMHO) that Spybot is harbouring a grudge against this company (despite it having made significant changes) and as a result is handing users biased and misleading information. So what you say? Users can make their own choices? Wrong. Users rely on Spybot to make those kind of choices for them trusting Spybot to give the the correct information. And it just doesn't appear to be happening (in this case).

Note: This is in now way an endorsement in favor of Regsitry Nuker or Spyware Nuker - I have no idea whether they are good or bad apps. My point here is that the industry needs and requires unbiased and accurate information.
    I must admit to having the same feeling. I am not entirely sure that the decision to classify Trek Blue's software as malware ("Malware (a portmanteau of "malicious software") is software designed to infiltrate or damage a computer system, without the owner's consent" http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Malware ), is entirely unbiased.

I wish that Spybot would come to a decision about this.

Any news about Error Nuker?

Esteemed Member

Quote Originally Posted by User2
    I wish that Spybot would come to a decision about this.
    They have and they gave you their reasons. That you don't like the decision requires nothing from them.

Well, I have simply excluded it from the list of 'malware' threats that S&D detects.
    If you disagree, continue as you've stated, that's why the ability to Ignore a detection is provided. Or stop using the program, that is your priviledge, it's a free program and a free world (at least parts of it).

Team Spybot owes you nothing.

Spybot Advisor Team [Retired] md usa spybot fan's Avatar

User2:

It is probably still being targeted, although I don't actually know since I don't use the product. Buster provided and explanation of why Trek Blue's Error Nuker is targeted by Spybot in the following post:

You have posted nine (9) times in this thread asking why it is targeted or if it is still targeted since Buster provided that explanation.

I am curious if in the two months you have been posting here whether or not you ever contacted Trek Blue and asked them if the statements by Buster were valid and if so why they can not control their advertising affiliates from pushing "Error Nuker" via seemingly deceptive practices.

If you feel the detection is a false positive or if you do not want Spybot alerting you, Spybot provides a facility to either:
    • "Exclude this detection from further searches"
    • "Exclude this product from future scans"

Please avail yourself of those options.
    Last edited by md usa spybot fan; 2006-03-11 at 17:44. Reason: Edited to remove the duplicated portion of the post.

Getting an answer is one thing, learning is another.

Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition running on a 2.40GHz IntelŪ PentiumŪ 4 Processor with 512 MB of RAM and a 533 MHz System Bus.