Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: No access to Internet Options, connectivity problem, and other problems

Emeritus- Malware Team

Hi I_dream_of_Mercury,

Thanks you for the log and feedback.

Congratulations your computer now appears to be malware free!

I can now confirm that any computer issues you may still be experiencing are not malware-related.

Not A Malware Issue

I recommend you try a good System/Hardware Help Forum. Some suggested links are provided below.
    These sites have a variety of experts, that are better equipped to investigate and resolve these kinds of issues.

Good System/Hardware Help Forums

Free registration may be required in order to post at these forums and will only take a few minutes.

Now that your computer appears to clear of malware infection we need to tidy a few things up and deal with a few remaining items:

Step 1:
    Housekeeping

It's now time for some housekeeping. Please follow the instructions below to remove the tools we have used to clean up your computer.

OTL - Cleanup

1. Right-click on OTL.exe and select the Run As Administrator option to launch the program. If you receive a UAC prompt, please allow it.
      This will remove most, if not all, of the tools we used to clean your PC.
    2. Close all other programs apart from OTL as this step will require a reboot.
    3. On the OTL main screen, press the CleanUp! button.
    4. Click on the Yes button at the prompt and then allow the program to reboot your computer.

Remove Tools Used

You can now safely delete the tools used in cleaning up the infection. Please remove the following tools from your system along with any related .zip files.
    aswMBR.exe
    fix1.reg
    MicrosoftFixit50195.exe
    Please Note: These tools are updated on a regular basis and so, if required in future, should be downloaded afresh under supervision.
    Step 2:
    Create Clean System Restore Point

Create a new, clean System Restore point which be used in the event of future system problems:

1. Click on Start > All Programs > Accessories > System Tools > System Restore.
    2. Select the Create a restore point option then click on Next.
    3. You can name your new Restore Point something like All Clean, for example, and then select Create.
    4. Once the Restore Point has been created you can click on Close.
    5. Now remove old, infected System Restore points:
    6. Next click on Start > Run.
    7. Copy and Paste the following command into the text entry box:
      Code:
      cleanmgr
    8. Then click on the OK button.
    9. Make sure the boxes for Recycle Bin, Temporary Files and Temporary Internet Files are checked. You can choose to check other boxes if you wish but they are not required.
    10. Select the More Options tab, under System Restore and click on the Clean up... button and reply Yes to the prompt.
    11. Click on the OK button and the Yes button to confirm.

Step 3:
    Security Vulnerabilities

I cannot stress how important it is to keep your security software up-to-date. In particular, if you don't keep your Operating System and Internet Explorer up-to-date the computer will be open to re-infection. Since we have been working on your computer the following software has been updated.

Outdated Java SE Runtime Environment (JRE)

Please download from HERE:

1. Find Java SE 7u2.
    2. Click on the Download JRE button to the right.
    3. Choose the correct Platform and Multi-language. Next, check the box that says I agree to the Java SE Runtime Environment 6 License Agreement.
    4. Click on the Continue button.
    5. Click on the filename under Windows Offline Installation and save it to your Desktop.
    6. Close all active windows.
    7. Double-click on the installer file and follow the prompts to install the program.
    Step 4:
    Improve Your Computer's Security

Foxit Reader
    Please remember to check for updates on a regular basis. You can do this by launching the program and selecting Check for Updates Now from the Help menu. Checking for Foxit Reader updates can also be configured automatically by clicking on the Preferences button at the bottom of the Foxit Reader Updates window and selecting either the Each Week or Each Month option. Keeping this software up-to-date will help to ensure your system remains malware free.

Spybot S&D
    Please remember to re-enable TeaTimer. Ensure the program is updated on a regular basis and run a scan once every couple of weeks. This will help you to keep your computer clear of malware free.
    Please Note: If you consider TeaTimer to be somewhat intrusive you may prefer to keep this feature of the Spybot S&D product disabled. In addition, you may need to disable Spybot S&D's TeaTimer anyway before running other security tools to avoid any conflicts or interference.

MalwareBytes' AntiMalware
    It is worth keeping MalwareBytes' AntiMalware on your system. Updating the program and running a scan once every couple of weeks will help you to keep malware free.

Below are some additional (free) programs, that can help improve your computer's security.
    Many feel that having a "layered" protection scheme is beneficial, you'll have to decide what works best for your situation. You may like to give them a try.

Alternative Web Browser
    Many malware exploits are directed at users of Internet Explorer. Try using a different web browser instead: Mozilla Firefox or Opera

SiteAdvisor
    SiteAdvisor is a toolbar for Microsoft Internet Explorer and Mozilla Firefox which alerts you if you're about to enter a potentially dangerous website.
    You can find more information and download it from Here .

Panda USB Vaccine
    Protect your computer from removable or USB drive infections with Panda USB Vaccine. It is an effective method of preventing the spread of malware.
    You can download and learn more about this product from Here.
    Step 5:
    Further Guidelines

Please follow these simple guidelines in order to help keep your computer more secure:

Update your Anti-virus program and other programs regularly.
    Online Secunia Software Inspector - Copyright © Secunia.
    Refer to F-secure Health Check - Copyright © F-Secure Corporation.

Visit Microsoft often
    Keep on top of critical updates, as well as other updates for your computer.
    How to configure and use Automatic Updates in Windows XP
    Using Windows Update for Windows XP
    Microsoft Update Home

Read, stay informed.
    To help minimize the chances of becoming re-infected, please read:
    Computer Security - a short guide to staying safer online

If your computer is running slowly after your clean up, please read:
    What to do if your Computer is running slowly
    Please confirm that you have completed the cleanup steps and reviewed the rest of the post.
    Once your reply has been received, unless there are other malware questions or concerns, this topic will be closed as resolved.

Stay Safe!
    Scolabar
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------
    No Reply Within 3 Days Will Result In Your Topic Being Closed
    Malware Removal University - You too could train to help others

OTL Cleanup has now been running for 7 hours, without rebooting. It displays the message, "Processing [deleteself]...".

Could this possibly be correct or normal?

I shut down every program, including Spybot S&D TeaTimer/Resident, Avira, and OnlineArmor firewall, before and during running OTL.exe Cleanup. I let it run for 6 3/4 hours before coming online to ask what to do about this. I only have 32GB total on the hard drive, 12GB of which is My Documents, so it's not as if it's plowing through a massive system.

Task Manager says it's running.

Please advise.

Emeritus- Malware Team

Hi I_dream_of_Mercury,

Apologies for the inconvenience.

Firstly, please stop the OTL Cleanup process using the Task Manager.

Below is a replacement set of instructions for Step 1 of my previous post.
    Before we proceed please make sure any other open programs are closed.

Step 1:
    Housekeeping

It's now time for some housekeeping. Please follow the instructions below to remove the tools we have used to clean up your computer.

ComboFix - Uninstall

1. Please Download CF_Uninstall.exe and Save it to your Desktop.
    2. Double-click on CF_Uninstall.exe to run the program.
    3. This should complete the uninstallation of ComboFix.

Note: Please let me know if you encounter any problems.

Remove Tools Used

You can now safely delete the tools used in cleaning up the infection. Please remove the following tools from your system along with any related .zip files.

aswMBR.exe
    fix1.reg
    MicrosoftFixit50195.exe
    OTL.exe

Please Note: These tools are updated on a regular basis and so, if required in future, should be downloaded afresh under supervision.

Step 2:
    Continuation

Please continue with Step 2 onwards as provided in my previous set of instructions.
    Again, please let me know if you experience any problems.

Scolabar

Emeritus- Malware Team

Hi I_dream_of_Mercury,

I hope you had an enjoyable and relaxing day, yesterday.

It has been over 48 hours since my last post.

1. Do you still need help?
    2. Do you need more time?
    3. Are you having problems following my instructions?
    4. In line with Safer-Networking's policy, topics will be closed after 3 days without a response.
    5. If you do not reply within the next 24 hours, this topic will be closed.

Scolabar
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------
    No Reply Within 3 Days Will Result In Your Topic Being Closed

Visiting Fellow

This topic has been archived due to inactivity.

If it has been three days or more since your last post, and the helper assisting you posted a response to which you did not reply, your thread will not be re-opened. At that point, if you still require help, please start a new topic and include a new DDS log with a link to your previous thread. Please do not add any logs that might have been requested previously, you would be starting fresh.

If it has been less than three days since your last response and you need the thread re-opened, please send your helper a private message (pm). A valid, working link to the closed topic is required.