Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Problems making the bootable CD

Default Problems making the bootable CD

I'm trying to make the boot CD, and I've downloaded the Windows Automated Installation Kit (KB3AIK_EN.iso) however when I point the Boot CD maker to the directory it is in, it does not find it. I've even tried un-archiving the .iso with no luck. It keeps saying "The AIK does not seem to be complete" but I know it is. It also says "The required tool imagex.exe was not found" "the required tool peimg.exe was not found" and "The required tool oscdimg.exe" was not found.

Why doesn't it see these things? They're there...

Once it is all done, I know what to do with a .iso file...

Thanks

Hello,

if I understood you correctly you just point to the location of the WAIK iso file?
    This will not do, you need to actually install the contents of the WAIK iso, meaning that you need to mount the iso or burn it to a disk and then install the WAIK. After that you need to start the Boot CD Creator.
    born in the shadow to die in the shadow, that is the fate of the shinobi

Spybot S&D Downloads

Please help us improve Spybot and download our distributed testing client.

Oh, so that is how it is done. Now that I know what to do, hopefully there will not be any problems in the future. Yes, that is exactly what I have done so far, as I did not know what else I needed to do, there are no instructions.

thanks

I also have a problem with making the bootable CD. I downloaded the WAIK file using the link in the Create bootable CD tool (downloaded file had extension .IMG, but determined that it was actually a .ISO and needed to be extracted). Once extracted, the CD tool did it's job and created the Spybot Boot CD.iso file and told me to burn it to a CD and it will be ready for use. Well, I burned the SpybotBootCD.iso file to a CD, but it didn't work when trying to boot from CD/DVD drive (computer booted to Windows normally). My question is, since SpybotBootCD is also an .ISO type file, should I extract the files and then burn to a CD in order for the computer to boot from it? Sorry if this an obvious answer, but I'm new to using .iso and imaging.

The Spybot S&D iso should be burned as a disc image. The computer needs to be set up to boot from CD, this needs to be done in the BIOS, some computer vendors deactivate this by default.
    Once the computer starts it prompts you to press a button to boot from CD or it will boot from harddisk, this is the default behaviour for Windows boot disks.
    born in the shadow to die in the shadow, that is the fate of the shinobi

Spybot S&D Downloads

Please help us improve Spybot and download our distributed testing client.

Quote Originally Posted by Yodama View Post
    The Spybot S&D iso should be burned as a disc image. The computer needs to be set up to boot from CD, this needs to be done in the BIOS, some computer vendors deactivate this by default.
    Once the computer starts it prompts you to press a button to boot from CD or it will boot from harddisk, this is the default behaviour for Windows boot disks.
    So I have created multiple boot cds with the spybot tool in vista 64 and w/ XP pro. The system boots from any of the cd's like it should. When the Vista aurora bourialis background comes up it loads for a minute and promptly restarts w/o doing a thing.

I have also tried the instructions for creating a boot disk manually via Bart PE with the spybot plugin. no matter what I try, i can't get all of spybots files copied into the files subfolder. Always get errors when making the iso. Nothing is hidden and everything is showing when trying to copy. (I can get other plugins to work fine...)

Booted to a plain Bart PE enviornment and had the spybot subfolders and directories on a USB stick. Nothing will run from the stick or the HDD though both are detected and the files are there.

I would pay the 40 bucks for the disk, except as a competent administrator and tech, this runaround is making me doubtful. I'm not convinced the bootable CD will do what it says. Wouldn't you be? How can it be this difficult to make a bootable cd with spybot or to just have it run from the HDD or usb stick from a shell? I have recommended and used spybot for years, from corprate support all the way down to the basic user. Restore my confidence please.

While I haven't gotten around to making the Spybot Boot CD quite yet (I have to do it under XP virtualization because my production machine uses 7-64bit)

I have no doubt that it will do exactly as planned. But the easiest way to test it out is simply run it under VMware or Virtual Box or something like that.

oh, I almost forgot to ask: What is the file vista_6000.16386.061101-2205-LRMAIK_EN.img - that it wanted me to download?

More problems:

Ok, I un-isoed the WinAIK, and ran StartCD.exe, it said that I needed to have MSXML 6.0 installed. Fine, I ran windows update, it was not there so I went and downloaded it by itself, then WinAIK installed just fine. Now, the BootCD creator still says "The AIK installation does not seem to be complete" and "the required tool peimg.exe was not found" -- but I installed the AIK just fine.

Quote Originally Posted by dukeofurl View Post
    More problems:

Ok, I un-isoed the WinAIK, and ran StartCD.exe, it said that I needed to have MSXML 6.0 installed. Fine, I ran windows update, it was not there so I went and downloaded it by itself, then WinAIK installed just fine. Now, the BootCD creator still says "The AIK installation does not seem to be complete" and "the required tool peimg.exe was not found" -- but I installed the AIK just fine.
    That's what I did although it's probably not the correct way. This was my first time messing around with disc imaging. Instructions were to burn the WAIK .img file to a disc image, mount it, then run the boot CD tool once all the WAIK files were loaded on your machine. I used Winzip to unzip the WAIK files and put them in the file location the boot CD tool was looking for them. After that the tool found all the files needed and the Spybot BootCD.iso file was created. What I have found out since is I need to burn the bootCD.iso file as a disc image using a disc imaging software for it to work. Just straight burning it to a CD or even making it a bootable CD (I used Roxio to try this) will not work. Hope this helps.