Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Search Engine Redirect

Is there anything else which needs to be done?

Security Expert: Emeritus Blade81's Avatar

Hi,

On a side note - with access to the main HD, should I be concerned over any of my files being transferred via P2P off of this machine? I really don't have much, but I could go change all of my passwords to the 100 websites I use?
    You don't likely have to be worried about the files but changing passwords after situation like this is recommended.

Is there anything else which needs to be done?
    If no issues left let's see the final steps then

THESE STEPS ARE VERY IMPORTANT

Let's reset system restore
    Reset and Re-enable your System Restore to remove infected files that have been backed up by Windows. The files in System Restore are protected to prevent any programs changing those files. This is the only way to clean these files: You will lose all previous restore points which are likely to be infected. Please note you need Administrator Access to do clean the restore points.

A To disable the System Restore feature:

1. Click on the Start button.
    2. Hover over the Computer option, right click on it and then click Properties.
    3. On the left hand side, click Advanced Settings.
    4. If asked to permit the action, click on Allow.
    5. Click on the System Protection tab.
    6. Select c: drive and click Configure...
    7. Select Turn off protection
    8. Press OK.
    Repeat steps 6-8 for each hard drive.

B. Reboot.

C Turn ON System Restore.
    Follow the steps like you did when disabling system restore but on step 7. select Restore system settings and previous versions of files -option.

Now lets uninstall ComboFix:
    • Click START then RUN
    • Now copy-paste Combofix /uninstall in the runbox and click OK

UPDATING WINDOWS AND INTERNET EXPLORER

IMPORTANT: You Need to Update Windows and Internet Explorer to protect your computer from the malware that is around on the Internet. Please go to the windows update site to get the critical updates.

If you are running Microsoft Office, or any portion thereof, go to the Microsoft's Office Update site and make sure you have at least all the critical updates installed (Free) Microsoft Office Update.

Make your Internet Explorer more secure

This can be done by following these simple instructions:
    From within Internet Explorer click on the Tools menu and then click on Options.
    Click once on the Security tab
    Click once on the Internet icon so it becomes highlighted.
    Click once on the Custom Level button.
    Change the Download signed ActiveX controls to Prompt
    Change the Download unsigned ActiveX controls to Disable
    Change the Initialize and script ActiveX controls not marked as safe to Disable
    Change the Installation of desktop items to Prompt
    Change the Launching programs and files in an IFRAME to Prompt
    Change the Navigate sub-frames across different domains to Prompt
    When all these settings have been made, click on the OK button.
    If it prompts you as to whether or not you want to save the settings, press the Yes button.
    Next press the Apply button and then the OK to exit the Internet Properties page.

The following are recommended third party programs that are designed to keep your computer clean. A link as well as a brief description is included with each item.

• Download and run Secunia Personal Software Inspector (PSI) and fix its findings. Leave the program installed so you'll stay alarmed about vulnerable components in future too.
    • Get Anti Virus Software and keep it updated - Most AVs will update automatically, but if not I would recommend making updating the AV the first job every time the PC is connected to the internet. An AV that is using defs that are seven days old is not going to be much protection. If you do not update your anti virus software then it will not be able to catch any of the new variants that may come out. Good free antivirus programs are:
      Antivir
      Avast!
      Good commercial ones are from:
      Kaspersky and
      ESET

Just a final reminder for you. I am trying to stress these two points.
    UPDATE UPDATE UPDATE!!! Make sure you do this about every 1-2 weeks.
    Make sure all of your security programs are up to date.
    Visit Microsoft's Windows Update Site Frequently - It is important that you visit http://www.windowsupdate.com regularly. This will ensure your computer has always the latest security updates available installed on your computer. If there are new updates to install, install them immediately, reboot your computer, and revisit the site until there are no more critical updates.

Once again, please post and tell me how things are going with your system... problems etc.

Have a great day,
    Blade
    Microsoft Windows Insider MVP 2016-2020
    Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2008-2015
    UNITE member since 2006

If you have problems create a thread in the forum, please.

Malware removal instructions are for the correspondent user's case only.

Everything is working much better.

what do you think about AVG? as an antivirus?

Hi,

I don't have any personal experience of AVG antivirus but it's not bad choice I think.
    UNITE member since 2006

Since this issue appears to be resolved ... this Topic has been closed. Glad I could help.

Note:If it has been three days or more since your last post, and the helper assisting you posted a response to that post to which you did not reply, your topic will not be reopened. At that point, if you still require help, please start a new topic and include a fresh DDS log and a link to your previous thread.

If it has been less than three days since your last response and you need the thread re-opened, please send me or other MOD a private message (pm). A valid, working link to the closed topic is required.
    Last edited by tashi; 2012-01-14 at 02:20. Reason: Thank you Blade81 :-)
    UNITE member since 2006