Thread: OTL Cleanup's been running for 10 hours - Help for this issue only, please?

Default OTL Cleanup's been running for 10 hours - Help for this issue only, please?

This question's about OTL Cleanup, only. It's very possible that I won't hear back from the mod who's been helping me with my computer, Scolabar, till tomorrow, and I'd really appreciate advice soon, as this program is currently still running and I don't know whether or how to interrupt it.

Following instructions, I started OTL Cleanup this morning. It has now been running for 10 hours, without rebooting. It displays the message, "Processing [deleteself]...".

Could this possibly be correct or normal, for OTL to be doing cleanup for this long?

I shut down every program, including Spybot S&D TeaTimer/Resident, Avira, and OnlineArmor firewall, before running OTL.exe Cleanup. My user account has administrative privileges (I'm running XP Pro). I clicked on the Cleanup button in OTL, and clicked Yes, at the prompt to allow it to reboot (that prompt came up right away, when the program first started running cleanup).

I let it run for the first 6 3/4 hours before coming online to post on the original thread, asking about this. Now I'm trying to see if a mod who happens to be online would kindly advise me.

I only have 32GB total on the hard drive, 12GB of which is My Documents, so it's not as if it's plowing through a massive system.

Task Manager says it's running.

I do really want OTL Cleanup to finish. The software and processes run on my computer during the malware removal process, seem to have caused some problem that makes the computer's audio playback sputter, rather than playing smoothly, and I was hoping that OTL Cleanup would restore the audio playback.

Is it possible that OTL's still doing cleanup for this long, or should I try to shut down the program? Shall I try running it again? What if the program doesn't want to shut down?

Would someone please advise me how to proceed?

Thanks for any help!

Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2018-
    Windows Insider MVP 2016-2018
    Microsoft Consumer Security MVP 2006-2016