I am taking over from Vict0r.

What is the risk if copying these files for re-use later? Are there specific file types or locations to avoid?
I have a list of files for you to back up. If you perform an online virus scan of the files you copy back to the fresh install then the risk is considered low.

First of all, if you use any kind of USB drive (thumbdrive or external hard drive), you should protect them from autorun infections. Use Panda USB Vaccine to "vaccinate" both your computer(s) and USB drives. It is an effective method of preventing the spread of this type of malware. You can download and learn more about this product from Here.
It is not necessary to let this program autorun at startup if you use it to "vaccinate" your computer, it is sufficient that it is running when you plug in an unprotected USB drive.

This is a list of files to backup when doing a reformat. It should cover most, but may not be complete for your computer:
  • All important documents and personal data files.
  • Music, photos and videos that have not been downloaded from P-2-P sites or are cracked. You do not know if they carry any unwanted material.
  • E-mails, address books and bookmarks. E-mails should be checked for malware before being moved. It is a good idea to remove all unnecessary E-mails that are cluttering up your computer.
  • Saved game data.
  • All licenses for bought software.

If you use a customized Microsoft Office Word/Excel, you may want to backup these files:

In Word:
  • custom.dic (personal dictionary)
  • *.acl (personal autocorrect list)
  • mssp2_en.exc (personal exclusion dictionary)
  • normal.dot (default new documents template)
  • *.dot (Any other templates you've made)

In Excel:
  • *.xlb (personal toolbar)
  • book.xlt (defaults for new workbooks)
  • sheet.xlt (defaults for new worksheets)
  • personal.xl* (personal macros)
  • *.xlt (Any other templates you've made)

The safest practice is not to backup any files with the following file extensions: .exe, .dll, .scr, .ini, .htm, .html, .php, .asp, .xml, .zip, .rar, .cab. Copying back these type of files and entire profile/user directories to the fresh install can be dangerous.
Programs should be re-installed from the offical source (the official disc or re-downloaded from the official internet site).

If you have any possibility of downloading Microsoft Security Essentials to the USB key before you start the reformat do so. That way you can install it before you connect the reformated computer to the internet if you already have SP# installed. Otherwise you really dont have all that much leeway except if you can download SP3 and any necessary earlier service packs to your USB Stick. However I am not sure if this can be done easily or if you have enough space to do so.

Until you can install a more efficient firewall I would check that Windows fire wall is active.

Service Pack 3 can be a bit more difficult to get hold of if it is not part of your Windows installation untill you have connected to the internet for the first time but it should be the first thing you do after connecting to the internet.

This is how you can determine which service pack is installed:
  • Click Start, and then click Run.
  • Copy and paste, or type the following command and then click OK:
    winver
    A dialog box displays the version of Windows and the service pack that is currently installed on your computer.

Service Pack version must be SP1a or SP2 to upgrade to SP3. Install the appropriate service packs, SP1a if no service pack or SP2 if your Windows media had SP1 preinstalled, then install SP3. Make sure to reboot after each service pack install.

The safest method is to download and burn the necessary tools to cd(s) on a known uninfected computer if doable:

Windows XP Service Pack 1a (SP1a)
Windows XP Service Pack 2 (SP2)
Windows XP Service Pack 3 (SP3)
Microsoft Security Essentials Installer
Microsoft Security Essentials Definitions
Panda USB Vaccine

When finished installing SP3, run the Microsoft Security Essentials Installer, followed by the definitions update, then install Panda USB Vaccine and vaccinate your computer.

Update your Internet Explorer to version 8. IE 6 is a magnet for Malware. Microsoft has come a long way when it comes to browser security since IE 6 and are now trying to force people of that version.

Update Windows and Internet Explorer

Connect the computer to the internet, but do not use it for anything until you have fully updated Windows and Internet Explorer:

Update Windows and Internet Explorer to protect your computer from malware. Update Internet Explorer even if you do not plan to use it. Having an outdated version installed is a security risk.

Please open the Windows Update site in Internet Explorer and install all critical updates. Repeat the process until no further updates are offered.

Select your desired settings for updating.

• Go to Start > Control Panel > Automatic Updates
    1. Select Automatic (recommended) radio button if you want the updates to be downloaded and installed without prompting you.
    2. Select Download updates for me, but let me choose when to install them radio button if you want the updates to be downloaded automatically but to be installed at another time.
    3. Select Notify me but don't automatically download or install them radio button if you want to be notified of the updates.

Install Various Common Programs

Here follows instructions to install various common programs. Please do not install a program you don't need. Make sure you read the prompts during the installation of all programs and uncheck options to install any toolbars and alternate homepage.

Mozilla Firefox: http://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/new/

Java: Download and install Java Runtime Environment (JRE) 6 Update 30 (~16Mb) (Windows Offline)

Adobe Flash Player:
Uncheck the option to install McAfee Security Scan Plus before downloading!
http://get.adobe.com/flashplayer/otherversions/
Note: There are separate versions for "other browsers" and Internet Explorer. Don't install the one for Internet Explorer if you do not plan to use Internet Explorer.

Consider using the more lightweight Foxit Reader (14Mb) as a full replacement for Adobe Reader (66Mb) to read pdf files.
  • Please uncheck the options to Install Foxit PDF Creator Toolbar and make Ask my browser default search provider, also uncheck the option to Set Ask.com as my hompage while installing Foxit Reader.
  • Please uncheck the optional install of McAfee Security Scan Plus if/when downloading Adobe Reader

Consider using the following security programs

• WinPatrol
    This is a lightweight system monitor. Download it from here. You can find information about how WinPatrol works here.

• Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
    Download and install Malwarebytes Anti Malware Free.
    Update and perform a quick scan 1-2 times a week.

• Hosts File
    Every version of windows includes a hosts file as part of them. A hosts file is a bit like a phone book, it points to the actual numeric address (i.e. the IP address) from the human friendly name of a website. This feature can be used to block malicious websites.
    Download HostsXpert and unzip it to your computer, somewhere where you can find it.
    • Run HostsXpert
    • If Hosts file is Read Only, click on Make Writeable, otherwise move on to next stage.
    • Click Download button.
    • Click MVPs Hosts
    • Click Merge File
    • Press OK to download latest MVPs update and merge it with your Hosts file.
    • When finished click File Handling
    • Click Make Read Only to secure your Hosts file.
    • Close HostsXpert.

Note: On some PCs, having a custom HOSTS file installed can cause a significant slowdown. Following these instructions should resolve the issue:

• Click Start > Run
    • Type services.msc & click OK
    • In the list, find the service called DNS Client & double click on it.
    • On the dropdown box, change the setting from automatic to manual.
    • Click OK & then close the Services window.

Update the hosts file regularly. For a more detailed explanation of the HOSTS file, click here.

• Secunia Online Inspector
    Microsoft isn't the only company whose products can contain security vulnerabilities. To check for vulnerable programs running on your PC that are in need of an update, you can use the Secunia Online Software Inspector (OSI). I suggest that you run it and install the suggested updates at least once a week.

It is ABSOLUTELY ESSENTIAL to keep Windows, Java, Adobe and all of your security programs up to date. If you forget, then your computer will likely get reinfected.

Please read the topic below which will give you a few suggestions on how to minimize your chances of getting another infection.

When it comes to keeping your computer clean from Malware the best tool is to be suspicious of everything that does not look right and you do not expect.

If and when you have the posibility to update to Windows 7 and IE 9 it is worth while doing so as it is a much more secure system than Windows XP.

Do you have any further questions related to this case?

Please let me know that you have read this and saved it in such a way that you can get at it while you are reformating your computer.

Good luck and safe computing.