Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Cleansed computer has broken links to files

Quote Originally Posted by Zenobia View Post
    Hot Virtual Keyboard is a program that basically improves on windows own on-screen keyboard,but it isn't an anti-malware program.
    When it was recommended for you to install it,what were some of the reasons given for doing so?
    I'm not familiar with hot virtual keyboard,but if it was recommended to help prevent anyone seeing what is being typed on your keyboard,then this article about using on-screen keyboards in general might be helpful.
    http://ask-leo.com/will_using_an_on_...d_hackers.html
    This is what the person recommending Hot Virtual Keyboard wrote:

"Keylogger is a software that performs the action of tracking (or logging) the keys struck on a keyboard, typically in a covert manner so that the person using the keyboard is unaware that their actions are being monitored.

Keylogger applications capture a user's sensitive information. User accounts and banking information have the most appeal to the cyber-criminal. They can discover your address, telephone number and more. Logging of keystrokes is usually ONLY ONE feature of this type of surveillance software. Some keyloggers have the ability to record VoIP (Voice over Internet) telephone calls, take pictures of the computer screen and even control the Webcam.".

Your link to the article on keylogger is very interesting and informative. Thanks. I think I'm going to uninstall Hot Virtual Keyboard.

You're welcome.
    The person recommending Hot Virtual Keyboard does have a valid point,it could help prevent some keystroke logging(though not all),which does make the program useful,so whether to uninstall or not is up to you.

You're welcome.
    The person recommending Hot Virtual Keyboard does have a valid point,it could help prevent some keystroke logging(though not all),which does make the program useful,so whether to uninstall or not is up to you.

I value your opinion, so I'll continue evaluatiing the Hot Virtual Keyboard before deciding to keep it or uninstall it.

It's up to you.You could keep it as an extra safety precaution when using some sites if you wanted to,such as your banking site,if you use one,etc.But it would be troublesome to use all the time,nor should it be necessary,unless somebody suspected they might have a keylogger on their system.

Hope things are a bit better with your computer.
    You did great.

Yes,that would probably be the best bet,in my opinion.

Two more things,before I forget.
    If these files still have the hidden attribute,you won't be able to view them once you rehide the files on your computer.
    If you've reversed showing hidden files,please go here to temporarily unhide them once again:
    http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tuto...-windows/#win7
    Could you return to where these files are located,rightclick them,then select Properties.Look under the General tab.Can you let me know if Hidden is checkmarked?Also,is the word Hidden and the checkbox next to it partially transparent?

2.Since removing the original infection,has everything been okay with your computer?There are no signs of the original infection remaining?(for example,your browser being redirected to unwanted sites,etc.?)
    My audiologist had to consult with his IT person about the error message when I tried fine tuning my hearing aid with the software. This computer expert said I had to clean my hard disk. He said it shouldn't be hard to do if I had backed up my system with Windows 7 backup function. It simply would be reformating the hard disk and then restore all the application programs and data back onto the disk. I think he was oversimplying the procedure. Would you have time to step me through this process?

Unfortunately,no,not at the moment.I'll be working the next couple of days,which means I'll be unavailable for long amounts of time.
    Also,I don't have Windows 7,I still use Windows Vista,so I've never actually reinstalled and restored backups with the Windows 7 operating system.

What I can do is show you some links from Microsoft that should help with the procedure.
    http://windows.microsoft.com/en-CA/w...ling-Windows-7
    The "Using the Custom installation option and formatting the hard disk" section should cover the reformatting,if that is the best option for you.

And this is a page detailing how to restore files from a backup:
    http://windows.microsoft.com/en-CA/w...-from-a-backup

Please let me know how it goes.

Unfortunately,no,not at the moment.I'll be working the next couple of days,which means I'll be unavailable for long amounts of time.
    Also,I don't have Windows 7,I still use Windows Vista,so I've never actually reinstalled and restored backups with the Windows 7 operating system.

What I can do is show you some links from Microsoft that should help with the procedure.
    http://windows.microsoft.com/en-CA/w...ling-Windows-7
    The "Using the Custom installation option and formatting the hard disk" section should cover the reformatting,if that is the best option for you.

And this is a page detailing how to restore files from a backup:
    http://windows.microsoft.com/en-CA/w...-from-a-backup

Please let me know how it goes.
    Thanks for those links. Will let you know the outcome.

You're welcome.Hope everything goes well.

Quote Originally Posted by gnowgnow View Post
    Thanks for those links. Will let you know the outcome.
    Reformatting the hard disk was easy enough. Popped in recover disk and typed format C at cmd. However, after restoring files on disk C, I still got the error message when I run the program. I think when I backed up C I must have also got the error file transferred. This is frustrating and I'm at a point where I think I need to bring my laptop to a professional for cleansing.

I can certainly understand your feeling frustrated.You've done a lot to get your computer in working order again,and most of it was not easy fixes.
    and I'm at a point where I think I need to bring my laptop to a professional for cleansing.
    Just to be on the safe side:Are you having any signs of the original infection?You shouldn`t,after formatting drive C:,unless some of it was accidently restored from backup.

If you are still getting the same error message,perhaps the backup you restored of the program was from a time when the program was already damaged.Would it be possible for you to ask your audiologist about the best way to proceed?I was thinking perhaps a fresh install of the program would be better than restoring from backup.Your audiologist,or your audiologist`s IT person would probably know if that is advisable,being familiar with the program.

How has your computer been overall?Has it been working well,other than the error message from the software to adjust your hearing aid?