Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 56

Thread: Cleansed computer has broken links to files

  1. #11
    Spybot Advisor Team Zenobia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    5,177

    Default

    Okie-doke.

  2. #12
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    38

    Default

    You're a genius. I'm in awe! Using the link you gave me, I was able to see all the data files. The application program lost the links to these files but by double-clinking on these files I was able to load them into the application program such as PowerPoint or Word. Thanks a heap.

    I also found a folder called Favorite which contains all my favorites but have disappeared from the screen under Favorites. Is there a quick way of restoring these favorites links.

    Also, several people suggested I should install two programs: Hot Virtual Keyboard and Malwarebytes to protect my machine. What are your expert opinions on these programs?

  3. #13
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    2

    Default problems with deleting spyware

    spybot will not remove 12 spyware says i am not the administrator need help free to call Edit- Removed phone number for your own privacy, also we do not call members.

  4. #14
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    2

    Default

    goint to bed now please call with help about 12 noon central time
    thank you

  5. #15
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    5,263

    Default

    Hello,

    Windows Vista/Windows 7 might tell you that you are not being allowed to operate at the administration level of your computer.
    You can solve this problem as follows:
    Right-click the Spybot - Search & Destroy entry in your start menu,
    instead of just left-clicking to start it.
    Then, choose Run as administrator/take ownership from the context menu.
    You will find a screenshot of this problem in our FAQ.

    Best regards
    Sandra
    Team Spybot

  6. #16
    Spybot Advisor Team Zenobia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    5,177

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by gnowgnow View Post
    You're a genius. I'm in awe! Using the link you gave me, I was able to see all the data files. The application program lost the links to these files but by double-clinking on these files I was able to load them into the application program such as PowerPoint or Word. Thanks a heap.

    I also found a folder called Favorite which contains all my favorites but have disappeared from the screen under Favorites. Is there a quick way of restoring these favorites links.

    Also, several people suggested I should install two programs: Hot Virtual Keyboard and Malwarebytes to protect my machine. What are your expert opinions on these programs?
    Good,I'm glad to hear that.
    For your favorites,please try this:
    Click your start button,and type cmd.Rightclick cmd,and select Run as Administrator.
    Type,or copy and paste this line into the window:
    cd %USERPROFILE%\Favorites
    Then press enter.
    Next,type attrib,and then press enter.
    If your favorites are located in the right spot,you should see your bookmarks listed there,followed by .url It'll look something like this:
    A C:\Users\gnowgnow\Favorites\Drivers & Downloads.url

    Do your favorites all have sh listed in front of them,like this?
    A SH C:\Users\gnowgnow\Favorites\Drivers & Downloads.url

    I'm not familiar with Hot Virtual Keyboard but it looks pretty good.MalwareBytes is definately a good program to install,in my opinion.

  7. #17
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    38

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Zenobia View Post
    Good,I'm glad to hear that.
    For your favorites,please try this:
    Click your start button,and type cmd.Rightclick cmd,and select Run as Administrator.
    Type,or copy and paste this line into the window:
    cd %USERPROFILE%\Favorites
    Then press enter.
    Next,type attrib,and then press enter.
    If your favorites are located in the right spot,you should see your bookmarks listed there,followed by .url It'll look something like this:
    A C:\Users\gnowgnow\Favorites\Drivers & Downloads.url

    Do your favorites all have sh listed in front of them,like this?
    A SH C:\Users\gnowgnow\Favorites\Drivers & Downloads.url

    I'm not familiar with Hot Virtual Keyboard but it looks pretty good.MalwareBytes is definately a good program to install,in my opinion.
    Following your instructions, this is a segment displayed on the screen:

    A H C:\Users\gnowgnow\Favorites\Trade Architures.url
    A H C:\Users\gnowgnow\Favorites\USATODAY.url
    A H C:\Users\gnowgnow\Favorites\Yahoo! Finance -.url

    How do I move the files to Drivers & Downloads?

  8. #18
    Spybot Advisor Team Zenobia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    5,177

    Default

    No need to move the files to Driver's & Downloads,the above was just an example of what the .url listed in cmd might look like.

    Please click your start button,and type cmd.Rightclick cmd,and select Run as Administrator.
    Type,or copy and paste this line into the window:
    cd %USERPROFILE%\Favorites
    Then press enter.
    Next,please type in:
    attrib -h
    Then press enter.
    You'll probably get a message in the cmd window that says: "Not resetting system file - C:\Users\gnowgnow\Favorites\desktop.ini"
    No need to worry about that message.
    Hopefully,that should remove the hidden attribute from your favorites.
    Type exit in the cmd window,then open up Internet Explorer.Are your favorites visible now?

  9. #19
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    38

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Zenobia View Post
    No need to move the files to Driver's & Downloads,the above was just an example of what the .url listed in cmd might look like.

    Please click your start button,and type cmd.Rightclick cmd,and select Run as Administrator.
    Type,or copy and paste this line into the window:
    cd %USERPROFILE%\Favorites
    Then press enter.
    Next,please type in:
    attrib -h
    Then press enter.
    You'll probably get a message in the cmd window that says: "Not resetting system file - C:\Users\gnowgnow\Favorites\desktop.ini"
    No need to worry about that message.
    Hopefully,that should remove the hidden attribute from your favorites.
    Type exit in the cmd window,then open up Internet Explorer.Are your favorites visible now?
    Works like a charm. Got all my favorites back. Save me a lot of efforts to retype all the favorites. Really appreciate your help.

    Could the file Transaction1134H016K be hidden? Anyway to check that, Guru?

  10. #20
    Spybot Advisor Team Zenobia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    5,177

    Default

    Good,I'm glad to hear that.You're welcome.

    No,I don't believe Transaction1134H016K being hidden would be the problem,since if it is,your program should still be able to open it.
    If you've reversed showing hidden files,please go here to temporarily unhide them once again:
    http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tuto...-windows/#win7
    Please click your start button,then type,or copy and paste in Transaction1134H016K
    If the file appears in your start menu,rightclick it and select Open file location.After the file location opens,could you highlight the text in the address bar above,then right click and select Copy.Please paste it here in your reply.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •