Thread: Programs slow to launch

Default Programs slow to launch

I installed Spybot S&D 2 and like others found the live protection 'irritating' My system took 7 or 8 minutes to boot up and the pop up window made doing something useful while a program was being scanned difficult.

So I followed the instructions and disabled the live protection service - and things got immediately worse!!!

Every process (e.g. start up IE) now takes around 30 seconds to start. It is as if the part of S&D that kicked off the live protection scan is waiting for the scan to report completion and eventually times out after 30 seconds.

Uninstall S&D fixed the problem immediately.

Shame

HTH
    2GB RAM; 150GB HDD
    twin 2.4GHz processors
    Tecra M5 running XP SP3

I've been a stalwart advocate of S&D for years, but after running 2.0 for several days I had to uninstall it and revert to 1.6.2.

I run a quad-core 3.2 ghz processor with 16GB of RAM and a 600MB/sec data bus...I don't expect ancillary processes to add up to 10 or 20 seconds of launch time, which 2.0 does due to its "scanning." Installing a known clean program is also made more irritating. Surfing is the same.

Ver. 2.0 obviously does a lot more than its predecessor, but is also considerably more complex even in "basic" mode. I've been working in high-tech for 50 years and had some difficulty adapting to the plethora of choices/tabs/whatevers.

The one good thing about 2.0 was the automatic updating. Too bad we can't get that one feature on 1.6.x without all the other "stuff."