Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: "Security Shield was installed successfully" Huh?

Hi Oldman960,

>>I suggest you keep MBAM. Keep it updated and use it regularly.

Regularly...as in weekly? Monthly? (sure hope its dummy proof, lol)

>>...you should uninstall Adobe Reader 8.1.1 first. Be sure to move any PDF documents to another folder first though.

I don't know what you mean by this. Please tell me I don't have to locate every pdf I've created, or saved, on this computer and move them all into a folder!

>>Some Recommendations and prevention tips

Thank you so much for the prevention tips! I wanted to ask, but didn't dare take more of your time. (even though I did read the sticky notes)

>>Basic security consists of :

Virus program- Sticking with AVG because I'm familiar with it and have enough new things to learn! (pm me if you think I chose wrong.)

Resident Spyware program- Does Spybot count for that? (probably should schedule that to update and run automatically too, but how often??)

On-Demand AntiSpyware program- That would be the MBAM, right?

Firewall- Not sure what this means either.

>> If you are behind a router, Windows firewall should be fine.

We receive internet via cable (as opposed to dial-up or dsl), then use a wireless 'router,' is that what you mean? So maybe I could get away with just the Windows firewall instead??? Otherwise I am thinking of Comodo.

>>OR a guide to understanding and using the hosts file....Please read the info on disabling the DNS Client before installing a custom hosts file .

Omg, this is way out of my league (went right over my head)! Maybe I'd take on learning it... if it came down to that, or a root canal! I picked SpyBlaster instead!

All the other suggestions I did, or they were done already.

I do have one nagging annoyance. My startup in msconfig has a bunch of junk in there that I try to keep unchecked. Can you tell me what HAS to stay there / needs to be checked. I have HijackThis, but am a little leery using it on my own. Can we take out the obvious?

Most appreciatively,
    Robin

Hi MTnestRobin,

>>...you should uninstall Adobe Reader 8.1.1 first. Be sure to move any PDF documents to another folder first though.

I don't know what you mean by this. Please tell me I don't have to locate every pdf I've created, or saved, on this computer and move them all into a folder!
    Only if you saved them in the Adobe folder.

Virus program- Sticking with AVG because I'm familiar with it and have enough new things to learn! (pm me if you think I chose wrong.)
    They are all about as good as each other. None are perfect and will miss somethings. I usually recommend what you feel comfortable with.

Resident Spyware program- Does Spybot count for that? (probably should schedule that to update and run automatically too, but how often??)
    TeaTimer is the resident scanner in Spybot. If it's turned on then you have a resident scanner otherwise it's an on demand.

On-Demand AntiSpyware program- That would be the MBAM, right?
    Yes.

If you are behind a router, Windows firewall should be fine.
    The problem with the XP firewall is it doesn't have outbound monitoring. Most routers come with a firewall so yes you should be on with the windows firewall.

OR a guide to understanding and using the hosts file....Please read the info on disabling the DNS Client before installing a custom hosts file
    The link provided to the custom Hosts also has a very good explaination of what the Hosts file is. Spywareblaster does the same thing in bit different manner. Either one will do the job for you.

My startup in msconfig has a bunch of junk in there that I try to keep unchecked
    Pretty much everything you have in msconfig can stay there. They are not doing anything and do not really take up any space on the computer. Having them unchecked means a program will not start when you start your computer. However the program can be started manually. They are a link to a registry key which controls startup items. When they are unchecked they are moved to a different key so they don't run at startup. If later you decide you want a program to start when you start the computer you can recheck the item and the entry will be moved back to the run key. Fixing items with HijackThis will remove the entry from the run key leaving you no option other than rewritting the entry in the registry should you decide you want it to run.

Here's a link to a startup database with information as to what the items are and recommendations as to whether or not to uncheck them.
    http://www.pacs-portal.co.uk/startup_search.php
    Member of UNITE and ASAP

Default Many Thanks!

Come here Oldman960 I want to give you a great big hug!

My computer is running fine now. I will do my very best to educate myself, in order to stay protected.

I wish there were better words to thank you and your colleagues for what you do! You are truly heroes! I hope all the good you do is returned many times over!

With heart felt appreciation,
    Robin *heading off to the donate page*

Hi MTnestRobin,

You are more than welcome,, happy to have been able to help.

[With heart felt appreciation,
    Robin *heading off to the donate page*
    Thank you!
    Member of UNITE and ASAP

Since this issue appears to be resolved ... this Topic has been closed.
    Member of UNITE and ASAP