Thread: Using spybot search and destroy

Default Using spybot search and destroy

so, i'm pretty sure i still have some leftover viruses on my computer since sb did not find anything in the scan, i tried the shredder thing to delete some virus and my computer went at its normal speed again. so, what is the purpose of the shredder exactly? should i use it to remove viruses? for example, i think lvvm.exe is a virus am i right? i'm not too pro with this stuff so i want to be careful.
    also, how can i find viruses on my computer if the scan doesn't find them?

Hello domsy95,

Quote Originally Posted by domsy95 View Post
    also, how can i find viruses on my computer if the scan doesn't find them?
    To clarify, Spybot-S&D is not an anti virus program. The application searches for spyware, malware, adware, trojans, hijackers and keyloggers.

Do you have an anti virus program installed? Also which program detected lvvm.exe and what is the operating system?

Best regards,
    Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2018-
    Windows Insider MVP 2016-2018
    Microsoft Consumer Security MVP 2006-2016

I thought sb search&destroy was an antivirus.. The first time i used it, it found threats and destroyed them, that was back in the beginning of the year. Then I had another virus. first my computer restarted itself and then was running very slowly and one of the things that showed was a speech bubble saying "have you been using google toolbar lately?" it said something like that. so i tried the search again and it didn't find anything. as far as i know i don't have any antivirus. i don't know which one to get? i deleted the google toolbar with the secure shredder feature. I was just looking at things that were recently added to my computer that seemed sketchy. i found lvvm.exe by opening up task manager in the processes tab. i was just looking at the processes and looking at the properties of some of them, and i read that the safe things usually say microsoft or maybe intel? and lvvm didn't, and i looked it up and all i didn't see anything good. i think it's a virus, and it was created on 1/26/2012.

Hello domsy95,

What is the operating system please.

Aside from Spybot-S&D do you have any other security programs installed?

Best regards,

Uhm.. I have windows vista.. Is that what you were asking? i don't think so. i had norton internet security but it's expired. and i don't think i actually have the mcafee security scan either. what should i get?

Hello domsy95,

Uhm.. I have windows vista.. Is that what you were asking? i don't think so.
    Windows Vista is your operating system.

i had norton internet security but it's expired. and i don't think i actually have the mcafee security scan either.
    mcafee security scan? Why mentioned, please clarify.

After Norton expired you did not get another anti virus program? How long ago was that?

Best regards,

Quote Originally Posted by tashi View Post
    Hello domsy95,

Windows Vista is your operating system.

mcafee security scan? Why mentioned, please clarify.

After Norton expired you did not get another anti virus program? How long ago was that?

Best regards,
    You asked if I had any other security programs installed. I mentioned mcafee because it's on my computer, but i don't think i really have it, like norton, it might need to be updated. Norton expired sometime in the middle of 2011. since then I did not get another antivirus program.

Hello domsy95,

Rule of thumb is one firewall/one anti virus program resident to avoid conflicts, loss of program efficiency and system lock up due to both software products attempting to access the same file at the same time.

Having more than one resident can cause system performance problems and a serious system slowdown.

anti virus

So how did I get infected in the first place?

For someone to take a look at the system please start a topic in the Malware Removal Forum and a volunteer analyst will advise when available.

First see that forum's FAQ which also includes instructions in post #2 on how to provide DDS logs, which are the logs used in the preliminary analysis.
    "BEFORE You POST"(Please read this Procedure Before Requesting Assistance)

If the DDS won't run please start a new topic there anyway and make note of the issue.

Best regards.

Hello Dragonov,

Your topic is here: http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?t=65302

For now this thread is closed.