Thread: Antivirus Program Conflicts

Default Antivirus Program Conflicts

Hi. Hope it is okay to jump in on this string; i am brand new to this Forum (only registered about an hour ago) and also only yesterday downloaded Spybot. Have been trying to post a question to you PepiMK elsewhere in the Forum about a problem that there seems to be with the Spybot that yesterday was downloaded and installed, but my posts keep being rejected with a message that says something about your message folder being full and that you cannot receive any more until it is cleared.

As said, am an absolute Newbie here, so this is quite bewildering. Am writing this post to see if it is possible to put it on this page (a very interesting and useful thread happening on this page too).

Kindest Regards, "Dragonov".

------------------------------------
    Edit
    Split off from http://forums.spybot.info/showthread...177#post422177
    Last edited by tashi; 2012-02-26 at 03:14. Reason: Split off to own topic :-)

Hello Dragonov
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragonov View Post
    Have been trying to post a question to you PepiMK elsewhere in the Forum about a problem that there seems to be with the Spybot that yesterday was downloaded and installed, but my posts keep being rejected with a message that says something about your message folder being full and that you cannot receive any more until it is cleared.
    Please post your question here in the forum rather than trying to send the developer a private message (PM).

Best regards.
    Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2018-
    Windows Insider MVP 2016-2018
    Microsoft Consumer Security MVP 2006-2016

Default Spybot Updating

Hi again PepiMK: my previous attempt to put a post on this page seems to have been successful because the message that came up this time said that it was going to be reviewed by the Administrators.

So am here going to try and place the original post that was unable to be be posted elsewhere:

Hi PepiMK: I am brand-new to this Forum and joined only about thirty minutes ago. Also, yesterday I downloaded Spybot and while installing it, the programme seemed to go through a comprehensive updating process (which was a big relief because several months ago I downloaded Spybot and could not get it to update at all).

However today, when I tried to get Spybot to update, a message came up that no updates were available.

Surely something must be wrong because, for example, Malwarebytes Antivirus every day downloads at least six megabytes of updates, so why does not Spybot do this also? As a bug-hunting programme it would seem to be only logical that Spybot should download updates every day???

Thank you for taking the time to read this, and hopefully you can shine some light on this matter.

Also PepiMK, I have got on my Windows XP3 Home deck (on an ancient Micro-Star International MS7181 PC, which is at least seven years old, hideously slow with very bad bottlenecks everywhere, and also highly unstable) the antivirus AVG Free Edition and Malwarebytes Free Edition (which is completely "dead" until it is "woken up" to get it to scan or update); but on the Deck also is "Threatfire" which is claimed to not interfere with other security programs.

Is all of that a mix that you would recommend? Would Spybot interfere with a heuristic/always active Antivirus such as AVG (and vice-versa?).

If you could provide any answers to these questions PepiMK it would be very much appreciated.

Kindest Regards, "Dragonov".
    Last edited by tashi; 2012-02-26 at 03:47. Reason: Merged

Hello Dragonov,
    However today, when I tried to get Spybot to update, a message came up that no updates were available.

Surely something must be wrong because, for example, Malwarebytes Antivirus every day downloads at least six megabytes of updates, so why does not Spybot do this also? As a bug-hunting programme it would seem to be only logical that Spybot should download updates every day???
    Spybot-S&D updates are released every Wednesday. http://forums.spybot.info/forumdisplay.php?f=2

Are you using the 2.0 beta or the stable version 1.6.2? Please open Spybot Search & Destroy > Help > About and let us know the version and date of last definitions.

Best regards,

Smile

Hi Tashi: have been trying to explain to the Administrators about how I have been bungling attempts to place posts asking for help in the Forum (it took a while to do that!!!) so it was a very nice surprise to find that in the meantime you had already posted a reply to the post that eventually was able to be posted!!! (Yeah it is very confusing!!!) However there was a previous post that was tried to be placed on the page, but when it was attempted to be, a message appeared saying that the Administrators were going to look at it. So I knocked-up a follow-up post (because wanted to ask you some more things) expecting that to be "taken away" by the Administrators too, in the expection that, if they approved them, then they would eventually be placed on the page in chronological order.

But what happened is that when the second post was submitted it was, to my astonishment, placed straight away on the page, and without the first post preceding it!!! So an attempt was made to drastically edit it so that it would make more sense (vie-a-vie the missing first post/context thing), but after completing the Edit, and trying to place the post back on the page, got a message saying that only fifteen minutes were allowed to edit a post, and this had been exceeded, and to please contact the Administrators if you require assistance (or words similar to those).

So have been spending the last half an hour or more writing them practically an encyclopedia trying to explain everything to them!!!

But anyway Tashi had been trying to find a way to contact PepiMK, as had previously seen him in other Thread-Pages as the Tech because had found out by looking through the "Topics" listings and going into several Thread pages that he is obviously a pretty clued-up Tech (tried posting on a couple of them but got "bounced" until eventually finding the page that we are "talking" on now), and it great to be able to communicate with you, Tashi, as I desperately needed to "talk" to a Tech and thank you sincerely for not only replying to my post, but with such great speed also.

Tashi, have got Spybot opened up now as per your instructions, and following is the information that is written on the Panel:

Spybot-Search & Destroy 1.6.2.46

Latest Detection Update: 22/02/2012

Tashi, have just gone and re-read your post to check out what you said about the frequency of Spybot updating again, and see that Spybot updates definitions once per week on Wednesdays, and which completely solved my worries about there being something amiss with my Spybot's updating system!! (Had freaked-out while attempting to update Spybot this morning - I live in the Southern Hemisphere - and finding out that she would'nt: the rest of the day has been spent trying to find out if something was wrong with Spybot or not, and it's a difficult process on an ancient, agonisingly-slow PC which also is on Dial-Up!!!).

Thank you very much for your very generous help Tashi - it is a massive relief to know that my Spybot is in good shape!!!

Kindest Regards,

"Dragonov"
    Last edited by Dragonov; 2012-02-26 at 05:24. Reason: I Have Been Calling Tashi PepiMK!!!

Hi Dragonov,
    But anyway Tashi had been trying to find a way to contact PepiMK, as had previously seen him in other Thread-Pages as the Tech because had found out by looking through the "Topics" listings and going into several Thread pages that he is obviously a pretty clued-up Tech
    PepiMK is the developer of Spybot-S&D.

Thumbs up

Howdy Tashi: good to see your latest post, and thank you: Tashi, in the earlier posts I was brainlessly getting you mixed up with PepiMK (it's been a long day and I was just too brain-dead to properly notice your name over the Avatar) so all that can be said in self-defence is that as time goes by I hopefully won't make so many bungles.

So PepiMK is the builder of Spybot? - As in Creator??? I know that Spybot has been around for a heck of a long time, but do not know much about Spybot except that when briefly in the late 1990's I was reading a lot of computer magazines, Spybot was always rated by them all as being right at the top of the Excellence Equation for defencive programs.

Have only recently been able to obtain a computer again (an obsolete pile of junk!!!) and get online (via Dial-Up!!!) again; Am unfortunately not a Geek and know virtually nothing about the IT Scene and how to troubleshoot stuff, etc and so am usually having to learn the hard way most of the time (such as not to mess around in the Registry!!!) so am basically just blundering around trying to find programs to protect my feeble PC (which definitely does not need any bugs in it, because it's got more than plenty too many already).

Have probably got too much protective stuff on the Deck: Spybot; AVG Antivirus (Free); Malwarebytes Anti-Malware (Free: unlike Spybot and AVG it does not "watch" the Registry, etc, and is totally inert until it is woken up to manually update it or do a scan) and an heuristic program called "Threatfire" whose maker(s) say it will not conflict with Antivirus/AntiMalware programs.

Also on the Deck is Comodo Firewall (the solely stand-alone Firewall, and not the "suite" which also is available and has got an Antivirus and some kind of Web protection system as well) but the Comodo Firewall is still a pro-active system that alerts you when it detects anything going on that it perceives to be bad or potentially bad (it goes nuts in an extremely intimidating way if you try and install any unsigned software, for example).

It took months of trial-and-error (with innumerable disasters) to find what programs were actually good (there is an horrendous amount of bad software on the free-download websites) and what to avoid like the Plague. Unfortunately my System got trashed again and again via these installation experiments, and the only way I knew how to fix anything was to reformat the hard-drive and reinstall the Operating System.

Believe it or not, this has been done way more than one-hundred times!!!

Tashi, as a Tech, how good actually is Spybot at hunting down bugs in a computer system??? Is Spybot still as good as it was in the 1990's???

Well Tashi, it's been very nice to "meet" you, and cannot thank you enough for your very kind help.

Best Wishes to yourself, Tashi, and all of your fellow Tech's at Spybot.

Kindest Regards,

"Dragonov"