Thread: hosts file error

Default hosts file error

when i scan with hostsman it`s reporting this line as a error;
    if i fix the issiue all is ok until i add spybot and destroys hosts file then the error is back again.

127.0.0.1**-h-n7y15mc.firoli-sys.com

to two stars are represent squares (cant figure out how to insert the squares)

thanks for your time.
    Last edited by kinos; 2012-02-22 at 03:47. Reason: thanks entered

It appears that hostman has an issue with this entry since the domain is beginning with a "-" which is very uncommon.
    The entry that Spybot S&D makes is 127.0.0.1 for local host, followed by a tab and then the domain -h-n7y15mc.firoli-sys.com.
    We will check to see if the domain is permanently down, if that is the case we will remove the entry for the time being.
    born in the shadow to die in the shadow, that is the fate of the shinobi

Spybot S&D Downloads

Please help us improve Spybot and download our distributed testing client.

Exclamation

The squares are tab characters; I personally replace all tab-runs with single spaces.
    Also (on a slightly related note), Spybot 2 doesn't appear to respect the old Registry entry telling Spybot to use some alternative IP address for redirection; I change it to 0.0.0.0 anyway but it would be more convenient to not need that manual step.

Also, as I intimated in the edit summary to this thread, valid DNS labels may not begin or end with a hyphen: http://www.zytrax.com/books/dns/apa/names.html