Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: TrojanC-05 Continual Crash Poweroff

There were 6 Microsoft Securitiy Updates on March 15th. Should I uninstall those?
    No, it is unlikely that these are related to your issues.

I'd like to attempt a startup repair. First you will need to create a system recovery disk.

Create System Recovery disk
    • Click on the Start button.
    • In the Search programs and files text box type recdisc and press Return.
    • The Create a System Repair Disk window should open.
    • Ensure your CD/DVD writer drive is selected and that there is a blank disk in the drive.
    • Click on the Create Disk button and allow the process to finish.

Startup Repair
    • Ensure the CD you just created is inserted and restart the computer.
    • If prompted, press any key to boot from the System recovery Disk.
    • Select your language preferences and click Next.
    • Click on Repair your computer.
    • Select your Operating System and click Next
    • Select Startup Repair from the list and click Next.

If this runs successfully please boot into normal mode and see if there are any improvements in stability.
    Proud Graduate of the MalWare Removal University

Default System Restore on External?

I don't think I have CDs that will work. Can I use an external hard drive?

The Create a System Repair Disk window should open ....BUT IT DID NOT. Nothing happened at all.
    In the Windows\System32 folder there is a file called rescue.exe but when I click on it nothing happens. I looked at its properties and for users and admin it should be 'read and execute' and for a "trusted installer" there are full control permissions.

What to try?

Default file will not open.

The windows system32 file that I cannot get to open is actually called recdisc.exe

Default What to try next

I've tried booting to safe mode directory services repair. Could do more in that mode but eventually it cut off also.
    Tried to get the events log from Everest Ultimate Edition, though it was such a large file, it eventually got near the end and then hung. Copied it into word but couldn't save in safe mode.

Also tried to check system stability while in Everest Ultimate Edition but again the power cut off even while in several different safe boot modes.

Cannot get to the recdisc.exe or recover.exe by any means at least in safe mode. Still cannot boot normally without power cutting off.

When I google ISO I can see that I can download vista rescue but don't know if these are legitimate options. It appears that there are only priviledges for a 'trusted installer' to use the recdisc.exe and recover.exe. Perhaps either because I'm in safe mode or I have to take the laptop back and pay them to recover for me????

Also I cannot uninstall firefox for some reason, although I was able to uninstall the Java6 update without a problem while in directory service repair mode. The OTL still hangs when it gets to 'scanning firefox settings.' so I thought perhaps if I uninstall firefox it would work, though can't uninstall it.

Any other ideas? Appreciate your assistance and I really don't want to have to take laptop in for reinstallation. New battery and charger haven't arrived yet as expected.

Hi ASB2012,

I want you to download Kaspersky's rescue disk and create a bootable USB drive with it.

This will allow us to scan the computer outside of the Operating System (and hopefully whatever is causing the shutdown).

Download the following files to your Desktop.
    http://rescuedisk.kaspersky-labs.com..._rescue_10.iso
    http://rescuedisk.kaspersky-labs.com...rescue2usb.exe

• Run the downloaded file rescue2usb.exe.
    • On the Kaspersky USB Rescue Disk Maker window, click Browse... and select the kav_rescue_10.iso file downloaded earlier.
    • Under the USB Medium section select your USB device from the drop-down menu.
    • Click START.
    • Wait until the process is complete.

Configure the computer to boot from USB
    • Turn off the Computer
    • Turn on the computer and repeatedly tap either the DEL or F2 keys to enter the BIOS.
    • If neither of these work you may try the following keys instead;F1, F8, F10, F11, F12.
    • Look for Boot options in the BIOS and sure that Removable Devices is top of the list.

More information http://pcsupport.about.com/od/fixthe...erchange_3.htm

Boot to KAS Rescue
    • Restart your computer (with the USB drive inserted). After reboot, a message will appear on the screen: Press any key to enter the menu. Press any key...
    • Select English as the Language using the keyboard.
    • Press the 1 key to accept the agreement.
    • Select Kaspersky Rescue Disk. Graphic Mode

Update Anti-Virus Database
    1. In the bottom left hand corner click on the blue Start button and select Kaspersky Rescue Disk from the open menu.
    2. Select the My Update Center tab.
    3. Select Start Update
    4. If the update fails it will be due to a connection problem, either you need to enter your wireless settings or you have DHCP turned off at the router. See here for info on solving this problem.

Start Scan
    • At the Kaspersky Rescue Disk window go to the Objects Scan tab.
    • Check all the checkboxes and select Start Objects Scan.
    • If anything is found choose Skip. We will deal with it later.
    • When the scan is finished click on the Report link at the top of the screen.
    • Click on Detailed report and click Save.
    • Save the report to your USB disk and post its contents in your next reply.

Default Okay

I'll try this.
    When I attempted to update Kaspersky earlier, the PC again shut off on me.
    I took a look at the system stability report from Everest Ultimate Edition, but I couldn't make heads or tails out of it. It doesn't seem to recognize any fans,
    but My Device manager says that the ACPI Fan is working properly.

I received the new battery and charger which I will charge up tonight and see if it helps. It may be tomorrow before I can get back with you.
    Thanks for your assistance.

Default Kaspersky Rescue

Does this only apply to Kaspersky Internet Security?
    My laptop is running Kaspersky PURE.

Hi ASB2012,

If the PC shut off while you were running the Kaspersky Rescue Disk, then the problem is hardware related and not malware or software.

All of the scans I have run so far have not showed any infection. The PC shutting off while running KAS Redcue disk tells me that the fault is present when Windows is not running. Therefore the problem must be hardware related.

Everest not picking up your fans may just be that it does not recognise that particular fan. Device manager will only tell you that the driver for the fan controller is working properly. It does not know if the fan is spinning or not.

If you continue to have shut down problems after replacing the battery I would start monitoring the processor's temperature, as I have seen overheating cause this issue before.

There are many tools available for this. Below are some I have used before.
    http://www.almico.com/speedfan.php
    http://www.techpowerup.com/realtemp/

Unless you have any more questions this topic will be closed, as I do not believe the issue relates to malware.

Default Do Not CLose Just Yet

THe laptop shut down while running the Kaspersky Daily Update.
    That was prior to getting your message about the rescue disc.

I plugged in an external USB and for some reason there was an error with that.
    So now I'm checking it and it takes awhile as there's a lot on it.

I was able to save the Kasp Rescue ISO to an 8GB USB drive so I will try to run that tonight or tomorrow morning.

So, let me see what happens with the rescue and then we'll know whether to close out or not. Again, I have to ask why spybot identified the TrojanC-05 if there isn't one on my machine? It found the same on PC at my mother's house (she emails me a lot) and she had been having similar issues with hangups and non-working icons, etc...

So keep open please until I check back with you sometime tomorrow.
    Thank You.