Thread: Can't up date, open or scan! HELP!

Unhappy Can't up date, open or scan! HELP!

Hello teckies. I stopped using my laptop for about two weeks because like an idiot I left my adapter at another house and have only just retrieved it.
    So anyway, everything seemed to be running fine but then I started to notice the internet was playing up, being really slow and all that. I thought maybe it was just a bad connection because sometimes it happens at that particular address. No idea why.
    But then when I realized I hadn't updated my spybot search and destroy since I'd been on two weeks before I tried to open it up. It wouldn't no matter how many times I tried. My microsoft security essentials icon on my toolbar was glowing a nasty orange with a ! mark telling me I needed to update. When I tried doing it, it kept saying it couldn't connect to the internet, so I thought maybe the internet is the problem. Now I'm home and it still isn't working but I can still browse and even stream fine though sometimes it is slow.
    I tried scanning and couldn't on the MSE and I obviously couldn't even open Spybot so my computer is potentially unprotected. I tried running in safe mode and for some reason it wouldn't do that.
    Then my MSE came up with 1 threat detected. It was a Trojan:WinNT/Ramnit.gen!A that has been detected twice on this computer. I'm not sure about the first time but this time when I tried to remove it, it said it couldn't even find it and turned green even though it hadn't actually removed it. I tried to do a full scan and then it came up with:

Virus and spyware definitions update failed
    Security essentials could not check for virus and spyware definiton updates due to an Internet or network connectivity issue.

Click help for more info

Error code: 0x80070424

Advice anyone??
    Last edited by tashi; 2012-03-26 at 17:17. Reason: Added post

Hello Zibabes,

In case you missed it please see the FAQ which also includes guidelines for this forum and instructions in post #2 on how to provide the preliminary "DDS" logs used for analysis.
    http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?t=288

Then start a new topic providing the DDS logs as shown in that sticky with a link back to this thread and a volunteer analyst will advise you when available.

Best regards.
    Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2018-
    Windows Insider MVP 2016-2018
    Microsoft Consumer Security MVP 2006-2016