Thread: Rescue CD creator ????

Unhappy Rescue CD creator ????

Hi everybody,

I'm new to this forum, sitting in Kenya an trying to keep my box running smoothly. Anyway, I downloaded the 2.0.7 beta5 after having used 1.62 for a long time. Mainly to see how well the rescue CD might work after using the 'integrated rescue CD creator'...

Now - maybe I'm just a bit daft or going blind... but I cannot see any link in the GUI that offers the all new fantastic integrated rescue CD creator. Browsing program folders even gives no joy...

Could somebody please kindly tell me where it is? Or did it just go missing in action for this being a beta version?

Cheers
    Andy
    Last edited by andy_in_kenya; 2012-03-25 at 14:26.

Hello Andy,

The Bootable CD Creator has been removed from the Spybot-S&D 2.0 Beta.

Best regards
    Sandra
    Team Spybot

Default ?

Thanks for the info, but, well, that brings up the question whether the Rescue CD Creator will be integrated in the final release, or rather be kept outside for the sake of selling the Rescue CD as offered on your site at the moment...

Is it all about money?
    Best
    Andy

Quote Originally Posted by andy_in_kenya View Post
    Is it all about money?
    Best
    Andy
    not sure about the future for the rescue CD in final, but i guess, yes, its abit about money. developping a program costs money, hosting this site and the servers for the updates costs money - so yea, somehow to earn something is necessary. remember u also wont get a suite for free

Understood. I see that funds are needed regularly, but thought there's a commercial version of Spybot for business use anyway? Not selling too well then? I definitely do appreciate what the developers are doing and that money is needed to run/host the site. But if plans really are to not (or even *perhaps* not) include the CD creator with the free version it shouldn't be advertised... But then - what about beta-testing the rescue CD/creator?

Cheers
    Andy

There are multiple aspects to it...

• Microsoft won't license Windows PE forever, so the currently available CD that can be bought is not going to last forever. Get it while you can. So much for the boring commercial and advertising part you were dreading
    • The creation tool needs to be updated regularly to fit new SDKs, and we haven't updated it to the latest one yet. Which means it would probably cause more trouble than work.
    • There was a lot of feedback regarding 2.0 to be stuffed too much with, well, stuff. We removed SDScript, SDAlterEgo, SDBootCD and I think one or two more to deal with that feedback.
    • While the previous point is a good one, we've also been thinking about re-adding these modules in a way that is not confusing the average user, or giving the impression that there's too much installed. Update channels that can be manually added and would add non-default modules, or a separate installer are two directions we investigate.

So, all in all, it's simply that this feature isn't used as often and has been removed from the basic plain installation to "clean up" Spybot 2.
    Just remember, love is life, and hate is living death.
    Treat your life for what it's worth, and live for every breath
    (Black Sabbath: A National Acrobat)