Thread: Something is running in the background, but I can't find it.

Default Something is running in the background, but I can't find it.

Something is causing programs to respond slowly. It is most noticeable when I'm trying to run a game, I get FPS slow downs, going from the 50-60's to 1-5; lasting from 10 seconds to 2 minutes. The longer my computer is on the more frequently it happens, resetting brings temporary relief but even that is decreasing. The slow downs are noticeable when opening other programs as well, but not as acutely.

When I open the task manager to look at the system resources, something has my physical memory working at at least 50% at all times, but CPU usage seems normal. The HDD light on the front of the machine is going almost constantly.

Recently (last 2 days), when I restart my system, Spybot gives me an error message that there is no disk in the drive, looking for a HDD that isn't present. I can continue past the error, but it comes up any time I attempt to do anything with Spybot. When I attempted to run the DDS, it went to what looked like 3/4 completion and then stopped, and I can't close it without resetting the system.

Nothing is coming up when the virus scan runs, and Spybot picks things up, but apparently not this. I hope this is enough for someone to help me, thanks!

Emeritus- Malware Team

Hi Mcebrian,

Firstly, welcome to the Safer-Networking Malware Removal Forum.
    My name is Scolabar, and I'll be helping you with your malware problems.
    Logs can take a while to research, so please be patient.
    If you no longer require help I would be grateful if you would let me know.

Please note the following important guidelines before proceeding:
    1. The instructions that will be provided are for YOUR computer and system only!
      Using these instructions on a different computer can cause damage to that computer and possibly render it inoperable
      !
    2. If you have any questions or do not understand something, please do not hesitate to ask, don't guess or assume.
    3. Only post your problem at One help site. Applying fixes from multiple help sites can cause problems.
    4. Only reply to this thread, do not start another. Please, continue responding, until I give you the All Clean.
      Absence of symptoms does not necessarily mean that everything is clear.
    5. DO NOT run any other fix or removal tools unless instructed to do so!
    6. DO NOT install any other software (or hardware) during the cleaning process. This adds more items to be researched.
    7. Print each set of instructions, if possible. Your Internet connection will not be available during some fix processes.
    8. Your security programs may give warnings for some of the tools I will ask you to use. Be assured, any links I give are safe.
    9. Note: No Reply Within 3 Days Will Result In Your Topic Being Closed!

Please Note: If you haven't done so already, please read this topic "BEFORE You POST"(Please read this Procedure Before Requesting Assistance) where the conditions for receiving help here are explained.

Please be aware that removing Malware is a hazardous undertaking. I will take care not to knowingly suggest courses of action that might damage your computer. However it is impossible for me to foresee all interactions that may happen between the software on your computer and those we'll use to clear you of infection, and I cannot guarantee the safety of your system. It is possible that we might encounter situations where the only recourse is to re-format and re-install your operating system, or to necessitate you taking your computer to a repair shop.
    In light of this, it would be advisable for you to back up any important files and folders that you don't want to lose at your earliest opportunity.

If you follow these guidelines, things should proceed smoothly.

Firstly, delete the existing DDS tool you have unsuccessfully tried to run and then continue with the instructions below.

Step 1:
    Boot Into Safe Mode

Make sure you have downloaded anything you need. Print these instructions as well, as you will not have Internet access!

1. Restart your computer.
    2. Continually click on the F8 key (usually) as your computer is booting until the boot menu appears.
      The key used for your computer may be different. F8 is commonly the key used.
    3. Use up-arrow key to select Safe Mode with Networking and click Enter.
      • If you have a multiple boot system (more than one operating system (OS) installed) or you have Recovery Console installed you will be shown the multi boot screen.
      • Highlight the OS you want to start.
      • Click Enter.
    4. As the system starts the screen will display various files/drivers being loaded.
      Please Note: Make sure you into an account that has administrative privileges.
    5. Windows will load your Desktop.
    6. Reply Yes to the Safe Mode startup, if prompted.

Step 2:
    Download Tools

Please download the following tools and Save them to your Desktop:

**IMPORTANT**: As soon as you have downloaded the tools please physically disconnect your computer from the Internet.

DDS by sUBs Alternate download link: Here
    TDSSKiller.exe by Kaspersky

Step 3:
    Backup Your Data

If possible, take the opportunity to backup your data now.

Step 4:
    DDS

1. Double-click the DDS tool to run the program.
      Note: If your operating system is Windows 7 or Vista: Right-click on the DDS tool and select the Run As Administrator option to launch the program. If you receive a UAC prompt, please allow it.
    2. A black screen will open. Read the contents but do nothing.
    3. When DDS finishes Notepad will open two reports ... DDS.txt and Attach.txt.
      Ignore the comments about zipping/attaching any of the report files.
      The two report files are not saved anywhere. If you close Notepad before copying and pasting the contents, you will need to run DDS again.
    4. Copy and Paste the contents of the DDS.txt file into your next reply.
    5. Also Attach the Attach.txt file to your post.

Step 5:
    TDSSKiller - Scan

1. Double-click on TDSSKiller.exe, which you should have saved to your Desktop earlier, to run the tool.
      Note: If your operating system is Windows 7 or Vista: Right-click on TDSSKiller.exe and select the Run As Administrator option to launch the program. If you receive a UAC prompt, please allow it.
      If TDSSKiller does not run, try renaming the program file. Right-click on TDSSKiller.exe, select the Rename option and give the program a random name with the .com file extension (i.e. xbtjvtn.com).
      If you cannot see file extensions, please refer to: How to change the file extension.
    2. Click the Start Scan button. Do not use the computer during the scan!
    3. When the scan has finished, if it finds anything please click on the drop down arrow next to Cure and select Skip
    4. Now click on Report to open the log file created by TDSSKiller.
    5. The log file named TDSSKiller_version_dd.mm.yyyy_hh.mm.ss_log.txt is created and saved to the root directory. (Usually C: drive).
    6. Copy and Paste the entire contents of the TDSSKiller_version_dd.mm.yyyy_hh.mm.ss_log.txt file into your next reply.

PLEASE DO NOT TRY TO FIX ANYTHING AT THIS STAGE.

Step 6:
    Include in Next Post

1. Did you have any problems carrying out the instructions?
    2. DDS.txt.
    3. TDSSKiller_version_dd.mm.yyyy_hh.mm.ss_log.txt.
    4. Attachment(s) Required:
      • Attach.txt.
    5. Do you have the original Windows installation media for your PC?

Scolabar
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------
    No Reply Within 3 Days Will Result In Your Topic Being Closed
    Malware Removal University - You too could train to help others

Emeritus- Malware Team

Hi Mcebrian,

It has been over 48 hours since my last post.

1. Do you still need help?
    2. Do you need more time?
    3. Are you having problems following my instructions?
    4. In line with Safer-Networking's Forum Guidelines, topics will be closed after 3 days without a response.
    5. If you do not reply within the next 24 hours, this topic will be closed.

Scolabar
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------
    No Reply Within 3 Days Will Result In Your Topic Being Closed
    Malware Removal University - You too could train to help others

Due to inactivity, this thread will now be closed.

Note:If it has been three days or more since your last post, and the helper assisting you posted a response to that post to which you did not reply, your topic will not be reopened. At that point, if you still require help, please start a new topic and include a fresh DDS log and a link to your previous thread. Please do not add any logs that might have been requested in the closed topic, you would be starting fresh.
    Member of UNITE and ASAP