Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Possible Infection

Hi Canyoufixitdad,

No need to panic, the warnings I have given you are a precautionary measure. Having this infection means that it is possible for a remote user to ascertain sensitive information from the computer. It does not mean it has already happened, though that is how you should treat it.

So if I understand you correctly even if you're successful at getting rid of the root kit there's no guarantee my computer will be safe ever again ?
    Yes.

Is there another option instead of replacing hardware instead/as well ? (please excuse my ignorance)
    There is no need to replace Hardware to fix this problem. Reinstalling the Operating System will remove the rootkit completely as it will format the drive during the process, removing any shred of the infection as it does.

One good thing, they won't get much out of my credit card.... the wife's taken care of that.... lol
    Good one!

Let me know how you would like to proceed.

diver79.
    Proud Graduate of the MalWare Removal University

Hi Diver79,

Sorry I haven't got back to you earlier as I've been away (work stuff). I have a couple of questions, may I 'pm' you ?

No problem, you can post your questions here. It is against forum policy to provide support via PM.

diver79.

Okay. I would like to reformat my pc and I haven't got a clue how to do it so i wouLd like to take you uP on your offer, however, as you know doubt saw with the name of two files I have a matter which takes presendence. My mother has just been been diagnosed with cancer and lets just say that time is not on her side. I'm acutely aware that your time with each case needs to be wrapped up as quickly as possible so you can move to the next one. I have on my computer a lot of information I need to save before I wipe it. I have a donor computer which has plenty of room to save my files however that needs to be re-formatted too before I can format my one. Given my impending other predicament I might have to stop half way through. Would I have to reapply for help again or can this ticket stay open for a period of time ?

I don't have a win xp disc as both computers were bought pre-loaded. Is this a problem and how would you go a out it? Would you log on remotely?

Hi Canyoufixitdad,

I understand that you need all the time you have to be there for your family. I will try to accommodate you as best I can.

In order to re-install Windows on this machine you will need an XP Professional CD along with the XP Professional Product key. Manufacturers will usually provide a recovery CD or a recovery partition. I can see no signs of a recovery partition on this machine, so without the CD it does not look like you will be able to re-install.

You can usually order one from the manufacturer's website though.

If you choose to do this we can close this topic and start a new topic when you require our help again. Just reference this topic when you start a new one.

Alternatively we can attempt to clean the machine, but you know the risks involved with this.

Kind Regards,

Diver79.

Hi Canyoufixitdad,

Have you decided what you would like to do?

If you still require assistance I can keep this post open. Otherwise I will need to close the topic.

diver79.

Security Expert- Emeritus

Due to lack of response, this topic is now closed.

If it has been three days or more since your last post, and the helper assisting you posted a response to that post to which you did not reply, your topic will not be reopened. At that point, if you still require help, please start a new topic and include a fresh DDS log and a link to your previous thread. How to post a DDS log.

If it has been less than three days since your last response and you need the thread re-opened, please send a private message (pm) to me or a MOD. A valid, working link to the closed topic is required. Please do not add any logs that might have been requested in the closed topic, you would be starting fresh.

Everyone else please begin a New Topic.