Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910

Thread: IDP & Crypt AQLW Trojan DDS Log pasted.

Emeritus

Thank you so much.

Default NTLDR is missing can't reinstall windows

Now when I reboot, I am getting the "NTLDR is missing" error, and although I can access the BIOS boot menu (ESP) and choose the hard disk - which it duly boots into, whenever I choose the CD Rom Drive, it does pick Setup and simply returns the "NTLDR is missing" error thus I cannot even to begin a fresh install! Are there and colleagues who could help with this?

Default On my way

I by passed the problems of the missing NTLDR by booting into Windows via the Bios Boot Menu, put the CD into the Drive clicked set up - and I am on my way! I will let you know the progress.

Again hope all goes well the the exams - no need to reply just cram a few more moments of revision!

Emeritus

Everything going well?

Default A story with a moral

Hi Jeff

I tried to short cut the task by doing a repair install. My XP Disk is SP2. My system was SP3. Well it installed OK - but problem was that ie6 was now installed and would not work (mismatch of files some new, and the reinstall consisted of older old - this gives 'Ordinal not found error'). Installed ie7. Did not work. Rolled back to ie6 - installed various fixes from the internet - a shortcut worked (linking to the ie folder in the Program Files directory) - but on clicking the Desk Top icon, it simply created an i.e. (non working) short cut - but no i.e. coming to life. Click it again, and another short cut is created - and so on. I am not the first to have seen this - again tried all manner of fixes but still the problem remained. The workaround is to ignore the Desktop icon (remove it) and work from the shortcut.

Out of curiosity I ran combofix - and lo and behold a familiar message "You are infected with Rootkit.ZeroAccess! etc)!

Well the moral of this story - is forget about any i.e. worries - the rootkit Trojan is still in place, and only a format and fresh install will work. I have opted for a full format - (rather than the quick format - belt and braces approach); so at this very moment I am looking a the progress line for the format 55% thus far.

Will post updates as and when.

The help required is post reinstallation. What is the best trojan defence? AVG failed me - is there a program that would have stopped the infection in its tracks?

I hope your exams are going well - what is your subject?

Emeritus

Hi,

only a format and fresh install will work.
    Unfortunately with this infection, sometimes that is the only choice. I think you are making the right decision.

What is the best trojan defence? AVG failed me - is there a program that would have stopped the infection in its tracks?
    I use Avast antivirus which in my opinion is very good. I also like Microsoft Security Essentials, but be sure to only use one of these. Using two active antivirus programs can seriously degrade the performance of a computer.
    You can look over them at the following links:
    Microsoft Security Essentials
    Avast

Emeritus

Were you able to get everything sorted?

Default Update options not available

The install went OK - however the tick boxes in the "Choose updates to download and install" in the Automatic Updates are greyed out and already ticked which means I cannot choose to refuse an update - its all or nothing! So I am installing them one by one via the MS Update Website usinng the Belarc Adviser to inform me of the missing updates - a slow business - but that way I can get to choose which update to download.

How are the exams going?

Default Greyed out tick boxes solved

I downloaded KB898461 Package Installer for Windows and on a reboot the update choices were all there.

Also the missing NTLDR was solved. In the Bios there is a boot order - Removable media, CD, HDD in that Order - however there is another screen which lists the HDDs and the first on the list was the second slave drive which lack an operating system. I modified that to make the Disk on C drive the first and rebooted straight in Windows Xp.

So I guess the case is closed - and many many thanks for your assistance.

I just have to reinstall all my programs and data!

Emeritus

You are more than welcome. I know you made the right choice with your system.
    -----------

Since this issue appears to be resolved ... this Topic has been closed. Glad we could be of assistance.

If you are the topic starter, and need this topic reopened, please contact a staff member with the address of the thread.
    ----------