Thread: RegistryCleaner32

Default RegistryCleaner32

Other than the associated messenger spam, can someone tell me what the 'threat' is with this product?

This program is being aggressively advertised through the windows messenger service and pretends to clean up the registry. Registry Cleaner finds a lot of bad programs on a fresh installed and clean machine. If you want to fix the alleged bad programs, you have to buy Registry Cleaner.
    "The advantage of wisdom is that you can always act the fool. The opposite is quite tough."

K. Tucholsky

Please help us improve Spybot and download our distributed testing client.

Quote Originally Posted by Buster
    This program is being aggressively advertised through the windows messenger service and pretends to clean up the registry. Registry Cleaner finds a lot of bad programs on a fresh installed and clean machine. If you want to fix the alleged bad programs, you have to buy Registry Cleaner.
    Hey Buster, thx for the heads up. I noted the spam in our dropped packet log and DLed to examine for malice. The new SSD sigs picked it up before I even got around to looking at it. Good work.

Default IRC/BackDoor.SdBot.FKS.

My system has just been wrecked by a trojan, IRC/BackDoor.SdBot.FKS. This was immediately followed up messenger service messages claiming that Windows has found "Critical System Errors" and directing me to one of two sites, wxx.regwin32.com or wxx.uric.net. On reinstalling Windows I can't get on the net long enough to install a virus checker before this trojan comes down again. Links to antivirus websites are also blocked.
    Last edited by tashi; 2005-12-22 at 04:14. Reason: Disabled urls. Changed post's topic title.

Hello hoobmobile.

I am not sure why you posted in False Positives/ RegistryCleaner32.

If you need help removing malware please go here and follow instructions.
    Before you post a log

Start a topic here:
    Malware Forum

Someone will then take a look at the system and advise you.

Regards.
    Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2018-
    Windows Insider MVP 2016-2018
    Microsoft Consumer Security MVP 2006-2016