Thread: I'm in love! & Repeat Offenders: Can I block?

Question I'm in love! & Repeat Offenders: Can I block?

Hi everyone, I'm a newbie here. I'm so glad I found you. First I want to say I love love Spybot Search & Destroy! I'm just an ignorant inventor, not a techi. I used to have a techi come in a couple of times a mth to relieve me of virus. I don't even see my doctor that often for my body! My techi dumped me. He said he wouldn't work on my computer until I get a new one. Its been over a year & my cpu is still hanging in chugging along. Since I have SSD, I never get a techi. I do it myself & its all good. Your philosophy blows my mind! You guys are not only great on the tech side but an inspirition about business & life in general. FYI, I do donate. Probably not as much as your worth, but I don't have that much! btw I have tried numerous expensive programs that have actually put a virus or something on my cpu. It slowed it down. That's all I know for sure. SSD got rid of it & I spent many hours getting rid of the programs.
    Here is my question. Pls remember ignorant inventor, not techi & put all answers in kindergarten language. I have some viruses that keep coming up. It used to be weekly, then daily. I could live with it. I'd run SSD, they would go away. My cpu would speed up as soon as I hit Fix Problems. Now my cpu speeds up & 15 minutes later, they are back in my cpu. Is there some way to block them? I have hit immunize but it doesn't stop them. Here are some names of the worst offenders:
    doubleclick, Mediaplex, fastclick.
    All suggestions welcome. Thx in advance. InventingJoy:
    Last edited by InventingJoy; 2012-05-03 at 09:13. Reason: ANother thought

Hello,

Thank you very much for your donation.

RightMedia, YieldManager, Doubleclick (and others like Advertising.com, Avenue A, Inc, CasaleMedia, Fastclick, Hitbox, Mediaplex etc.) are so-called tracking cookies. It is quite common for popular websites to employ such tracking cookies from third parties. They use them in order to track the users' surfing habits on their websites. As I said, these cookies are from third parties but they are employed by the site. There is a tool in Spybot-S&D: BrowserHelper, i.e. a bad download blocker for Internet Explorer. With this tool enabled such tracking cookies will be blocked. In order to activate this tool, please run Spybot-S&D and go to the "Tools"->"Resident" page. Checking the checkbox in front of SDHelper will enable the BrowserHelper.

Now open the Tools menu in your Internet Explorer and choose 'Spybot - Search Destroy Configuration'.
    There you will find a drop down menu which will appear giving you some options.
    (3rd picture)
    You should select "Block all bad pages silently".
    With that option set the notifications will no longer come up, but you will still have the protection.
    Further choose "Spybot-S&D->Immunize" from the navigation bar on the left.
    Now the baddies are blocked.

Best regards
    Sandra
    Team Spybot

Question Also good for Chrome?

Hi Sandra, You are an amazing lady. I think Spybot SS is the greatest thing since sliced bread.
    This post describes my exact problem. In your answer you say this works for internet explorer. The question was posted in 2005 before chrome was invented. Does this procedure apply to chrome? Thanks again for an amazing product.
    InventingJoy

Hello,

I am sorry, but Chrome is only being supported in scanning and fixing at the moment.
    But there will be a plugin for live-blocking in Spybot 2.0.

Best regards
    Sandra
    Team Spybot

Default Is there anything I can do?

Hi Sandra, My elderly, crochety, cpu, something like me, slows to an almost grinding halt on any other but chrome. Is there anything else I can do to block Media plex et al? thx InventingJoy

Hello,

You can try to block the Cookies in Google Chrome by default.
    Please see here.

Best regards
    Sandra
    Team Spybot