Thread: Excruciatingly slow

Default Excruciatingly slow

I have a hard disk, drive E: on my system, with 582 GB free of 931GB, so 349 GB used. Most of it was only copied there a couple days ago, before I reformatted my C: drive, so fragmentation would be nearly nonexistent.

With a clean install of Windows 7 64-bit, running ESET Security Suite and Malwarebytes, Spybot - Search & Destroy 1.6.2 is scanning extremely slowly (right-click context menu manually triggered scan). It takes several seconds per file and after 3 hours only a small portion of the disk is scanned. This is with the 'live' scanning of ESET and malwarebytes disabled. Obviously this would mean days before I could go back to using my computer if I left it alone to complete.

There are also problems starting the scan, it takes several attempts to start a scan before the scanning window pops up and then I get a basic window that is different from the normal Spybot - S&D window, pretty much a bare list with a Filename column and a Status column with either '... queued ...' or 'nothing found'.

Any thoughts?
    Last edited by GlassDeviant; 2012-05-12 at 13:15.

Do you have a lot of .rar or .iso files in your hard disk?

Not a lot, and it's slow when scanning the loose files, so I don't think it's that.

Hello,

You can try if it is faster without the resident shield.
    Please run Spybot-S&D and select "Spybot-S&D" --> "Immunize" in the navigation bar on the left. Please hit "Undo".
    Then open Spybot - Search & Destroy in the Advanced mode via the menu item Mode.
    Now select 'Tools' - 'Resident' from the navigation bar on the left.
    Please untick the checkboxes in front of the two tools.

Best regards
    Sandra
    Team Spybot