Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Widgi Toolbar

Default Widgi Toolbar

I donwloaded the new defs today and the following two 'problems' were found.

I am a bit hesitant to remove/fix them because they mention "System 32."

What should I do? What are they and how did they get there?
    It also mentions: Kind = "2 Entries, AdwareC" --- What is that?
    ===

Problem:
    Widgi Toolbar

SBI $1F57ACC3 APPLICATON DATA FOLDER
    C"\WINDOWS\system32]\config\systemprofile\Application Data\Application Update\

SBI $4051b8EE APPLICATON DATA FOLDER
    C"\WINDOWS\system32]\config\systemprofile\Application Data\Application Update\temp\

WinXP sp3; IE 8; AVG 9; SpywareBlaster; MalwareBytes; SpyBot (also Vista Premium = Same; also Win7 (64-Bit) = Same)

Origianl post (and logs) at: http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?t=66002

Operating System = Windows XP
    Browser and Version (Internet Explorer 8)
    Version of Spybot S&D = 1.6.2 \
    and date of the latest update = 5/30/2012
    where did the false positive occur = Scan result
    Last edited by alicez; 2012-06-02 at 21:32.
    Vista also Win7 (64-Bit) IE 9; MSE; SpywareBlaster; MalwareBytes; SpyBot

Hi!

This is not a FP as such. Nevertheless we adjusted our rules a bit so that these folders will not be flagged that easily anymore.

Thank you.
    (m/f)

Quote Originally Posted by (m/f) View Post
    Hi!

This is not a FP as such. Nevertheless we adjusted our rules a bit so that these folders will not be flagged that easily anymore.

Thank you.
    What do I have to do now?

Also, I just ran another scan and the same two items (Widgi Toolbar) are showing. Will they always be showing after a scan?

After the rules are updated this week, they should not show up anymore, unless you still have Widgi.Toolbar installed on your system. Empty folders are not flagged anymore.
    (m/f)

Thank you for looking at this,(m/f).

Default Widgi.toolbar

Quote Originally Posted by (m/f) View Post
    After the rules are updated this week, they should not show up anymore, unless you still have Widgi.Toolbar installed on your system. Empty folders are not flagged anymore.

I just downloaded the newest defs to my Win7 computer and ran a S&D scan. Once again, the results show:

Widgi.Toolbar

When I click on the "+" box on the left of the Widgi.Toolbar it shows many entries (Registry Value, File)....

What should I do now?
    Last edited by alicez; 2013-05-08 at 18:37.

Quote Originally Posted by alicez View Post
    I just downloaded the newest defs to my Win7 computer and ran a S&D scan. Once again, the results show:

Widgi.Toolbar

When I click on the "+" box on the left of the Widgi.Toolbar it shows many entries (Registry Value, File)....

What should I do now?
    Re my previous post. Wiki states that " Widgi Toolbar is also a type of spyware, since it may force information out of a targeted PC. Security analysts have discovered how this malicious software extracts financial data such as credit card numbers and banking details from legitimate PC users. Worse, the Widgi Toolbar spyware may leave any infected PC exposed to further threats and other malicious infestations. To take care of this malware, you need to remove this from your computer using legitimate PC security software."

If it is "dangerous," shouldn't we use the S&D "Remove Selected" option?

hello alicez,

yes you should remove the Widgi Toolbar.

From your original post in this thread (m/f) determined that the folders originally found on your computer were empty since there were no further findings.
    Our detection rules have been changed back then to ignore the folders if they are empty, this means that if you get a Widgi Toolbar detection now it is more than just empty folders and you should remove it.
    born in the shadow to die in the shadow, that is the fate of the shinobi

Spybot S&D Downloads

Please help us improve Spybot and download our distributed testing client.

Default Ran the remove

Quote Originally Posted by Yodama View Post
    hello alicez,

yes you should remove the Widgi Toolbar.

From your original post in this thread (m/f) determined that the folders originally found on your computer were empty since there were no further findings.
    Our detection rules have been changed back then to ignore the folders if they are empty, this means that if you get a Widgi Toolbar detection now it is more than just empty folders and you should remove it.
    I checked the box next to the widgi.toolbar and clicked on the "Remove selected," and SB did "it's thing" and said there were 2 entries that could not be removed and could/might be removed if computer was closed down and restarted - which I did. Then when I turned on the Win7 and SB box came up and said something like "scanning in progress," which took a long time (maybe 1/2 hour) and when it closed, I believe another box came up and said, I think, "scanning in progress," which also took a long time (maybe 1/2 hour). When that finished my Win7 opened as usual. I ran another SB scan and it show two items, which I checked and clicked on the "Remove Selected," and then I ran another scan and nothing was showing. Hopefully that problem (wingi-toolbar) is now 'gone' from this Win7 and should not appear again.

(I just wonder why my MB or MSE did not pick-up this vulnerably, if it was so "dangerous"?)

Default Wigi toolbar removal

I after running Spybot it has found wigitoolbar. I have selected to remove it. Spybot tells me it need to run after restarting. I select ok. Then is runs after restarting. finds it again...select to remove...asks me to run when restarting...and on and on. I have done is 3 times now. It seems to be stuck in a lopp of finding it and wanting t restart..but not actually removing it. Any ideas?
    Last edited by mahlerosa; 2013-08-11 at 01:45.