Thread: S&D starts scan at start up

Question S&D starts scan at start up

OK, I've searched through the forums and there have been a few posts regarding how to stop S&D from startup at system startup; however, the solution isn't my issue. Been there, done that.

In fact, I have been using S&D for close to 10 years now, and have always had the "No automation" selected, and all options below unchecked as I don't want time wasted when booting. I would rather manually do a scan at the end of the day than to have to wait for a scan at the beginning.

Starting around Feb. 2012, on my weekly updates and immunizations I started having a problem with the program making changes to my automation options without my physically going into the options to change them myself. I would do an update, immunize, check for problems and then shut down. The next time I would boot, a scan would begin. Attempting to stop the scan would only lock up my computer forcing me to do a manual shut-down so I could reboot and then recheck my settings in S&D. Lo and behold, even though the main "No automation" button under System start would be checked, the "Run check on program start" would be checked. I DID NOT highlight this myself.

Since this has happened so frequently, I have begun to check these settings before I close out the program just to make sure the "Run check on program start" is NOT checked. It's NOT; however, this is getting checked once I close the program. Not sure why this is occurring. It seems to occur when there are items added to the immunization files. Last week when I did an update and then an immunization, there were no new immunization files and the next time I opened the program, it didn't attempt to scan at start up. Today, there were new immunization files that got updated, and you guest it, S&D decided to start a scan at a start up. I even checked my settings to see if the "Run check on program start" was checked before I closed the program and it WASN'T; yet, the next time I started up my computer, a scan started.

This is getting extremely annoying to say the least. If you had an option to "scan at close of program" and have the program automatically shut down the computer, I wouldn't mind so much. The option to shut down the computer is extremely handy on my Defrag program. I can start a defrag and walk away knowing that the computer will shut down automatically. I don't need to wait around. I think most people would prefer to not have time wasted getting on the computer first thing. A scan at the end would be just as effective as one at the beginning; just would be taking up anyone's time in the process.

I can't understand why this is happening and how I can keep this from happening.

Hello,

Please download a new SpybotSD.exe file here here.

Also download a new advcheck.dll here.

Move those two files: SpybotSD.exe and advcheck.dll to your program installation folder, and accept to replace the old ones.

Best regards
    Sandra
    Team Spybot

Post S&D starts scan at start up

Quote Originally Posted by spybotsandra View Post
    Hello,

Please download a new SpybotSD.exe file here here.

Also download a new advcheck.dll here.
    I have done this so I won't know if this will have fixed the problem until the next time I check for updates (next Wed. 6/20/12); as this only occurs after I've checked for updates and have immunized; that is, if there will be any files added to the immunization. As I mentioned, this seems to only happen when there are new files added to the immunization.

Unhappy S&D starts scan at start up

Even though I updated and installed the new files as suggested; my problem with the startup settings returned, along with another problem.

After an immunization then checking for problems, one of my problems could not be fixed so I opened the regkey info to see the problem and as soon as the Registry opened, a blank square box appeared over the open windows ( see attachment). After closing the Registry the box still remained on top of all other open windows and is obscuring information forcing me to move the open windows to a position to see what is behind the box.

You can also see from the attached file, the files that were updated last week as recommended have not been changed; however, when opening my settings not only was the "No automation" button marked, the "Run program once at next startup" was also marked; in addition to "Run check on program start" was checked. It seems that "Checking for Problems" and then fixing problems are making these changes. I initially did a "Check for Problems", opened the Registry to fix a problem that was found but could not be fixed by S&D, opened my setting to find the my settings had been changed. I unchecked the "Run program once at next startup" and " Run check on program start"; then ran another "Check for Problems". Upon completion of that process, the same type of problem that could not be fixed in the first scan, appeared again. I opened the Registry to fix the problem (apparently opening .jpg images is creating a unidentified file format that S&D can't remove); reopened my settings and my previous problems reappeared. This time I was able to capture an image of the problem to add to this post.

Again, I am not making these changes to the settings. The program is doing this upon completion of "Checking for Problems". And as I mentioned, there is now a new problem...the blank box that has appeared over the top of my other windows.

Unhappy S&D starts scan at start up

There still appears to be an issue with this problem, and the solution that was given has not resolved it.

Yesterday, I did my weekly update, immunized, then did a check for problems. I went into my settings to see if anything had changed, and all options to not scan at startup were unchecked. Thinking the issue had finally been fixed, I shutdown as a normally do. This morning when I booted my system, to my dismay, S&D started up. Even clicking on the button to stop the scan didn't work, so I had to do a force shutdown.

Upon a reboot, I opened S&D, then checked my settings to find the "Run check on program start" was checked. This problem is becoming increasingly annoying. When will this issue be addressed and fixed? As I mentioned, the solution to resolve this issue has not worked.

Post S&D starts scan at start up

I think I may have solved my issue.

I uninstalled S&D, did a thorough clean to remove all traces of the program; then did a re-install via the website. Upon checking for updates; an item came up under the list of "Other Files" called Starup Info - Updated startup entry descriptions 0 2011-12-21. I did not select this item to update and install. I have done several checks since; including an update today (7-11-2012). I have closed out the program and re-opened, checking to see if my settings have changed.

So far, so good...they have not changed. All items under Program start are unchecked, and No automation is checked and all other items remain unchecked in System Start. Just as I want.

Of course, I'm still not convinced this has really solved the problem; however, if I continue to not have issues with the startup over the course of the next few weeks; and continue to keep the update "Other Files" unchecked and not install, then I know it's this update that was causing the problem.