Thread: Spybot-S&D 2.0 RC 1 release thread

Smile Spybot-S&D 2.0 RC 1 release thread

Spybot-S&D 2.0 RC 1 just got released!

Release Candidate 1 features:

• Extended whitelisting identification for File Scanner and Startup Tools
    • New Protected Repair Environment allows to run all Spybot - Search & Destroy tools in a separate and secure desktop
    • Full Scan runs faster through files in your download directory
    • Separate File Scanner can now handle huge folders
    • Fixed problems with Cleaner on reboot
    • Added Russian localisation
    • Included is a Professional Edition Test License (valid for 2 months)

See our official release announcement for more details and download links.

Please help with beta-testing so Spybot-S&D 2.0 final will be rock stable.

You may use this thread for general comments about the beta release, please open new threads if you like to discuss specific issues.

daemon

unfortunatly i had to notice, after installing rc1, that u have removed the google chrome and chromium integration. there have been no word, that this is still removed, into the announcement of rc1.

at all im now a little worryed. rc1 meens, as us ay ur self, almost done, so will there be no google chrome and chromium integration into the final also? or will there be a google chrome and chromium integration into final again? (please make a google chrome and chromium integration for the final!)

another question is about the background scanner - during the setup it says somewhere "sheduling background scanner" but when the program runs i dont see the background scanner. in the first beta, when a progarm started u have seen it scanning, but now u dont see this. means background scanner something else as real-time-protection? if so, will there be a real-time-protection in final also?

oh yes, i forgot to mention above, also the opera- and firefox - integragtion is now removed into rc1. only the ie have a system-integration. also the chrom/chromium plugin is gone. so will this be back in final?

Quote Originally Posted by bbnetwork View Post
    oh yes, i forgot to mention above, also the opera- and firefox - integragtion is now removed into rc1. only the ie have a system-integration. also the chrom/chromium plugin is gone. so will this be back in final?
    or maybe the firefox/opera/chrome integration plugins should be available as separate but downloadable addons for spybot 2.0 final if they don't make it into the final release.

one minor thing that is not mentioned in the spybot 2.0 rc1 help file is the CPU/processor requirements to reliably run spybot 2.0. intel pentium 3s/4s and amd k7/k8 cpus aren't quite fast enough to handle it (unless you disable certain but essential scanning options). spybot 2.0 works best with at least an intel core solo/duo cpu or amd athlon x2/sempron 64 cpu.

and a reminder: Spybot 2.0 needs at least WinXP SP2 to install and run.
    those using PCs with old CPUs (less than a Pentium 4) and/or those using pre-SP2 editions of XP, Win2000 or earlier are better off using Spybot 1.62.

so far after trying out rc1 of spybot 2.0 on my XP, Vista and Win7 machines, it's been great, though on my XP machine scanning was kinda slow because my XP machine uses an old Intel Pentium 3 CPU, which really doesn't cut it.
    Last edited by noel-pr7; 2012-07-05 at 18:26.

Quote Originally Posted by noel-pr7 View Post
    or maybe the firefox/opera/chrome integration plugins should be available as separate but downloadable addons for spybot 2.0 final if they don't make it into the final release.
    could be possible, even i would like to have them in final, cuz i think a program like spybot should offer complete protection and also should support not only the IE

Its not clear to me, still, how to update. What does integrity check mean?

hi djpailo, updates should be installed automaticly else simply hit the "update"-button into the update window.
    what integritry check is for - i dont knew too, have wondered about this always.
    i guess it checks the integrity of the spybot components and updates, but if u download from the official site, which the update-wizzard, should do, i dont knew if a check is necessar.
    for me, i think, the official spybot updater should not download updates, which are not valid or with wrong integrity at all.
    Last edited by bbnetwork; 2012-07-09 at 13:34.

Default spybot 2.0 rc1 windows explorer integration crashes vista's windows explorer app

I've decided to uninstall Spybot 2.0 RC1 completely from my Vista SP2 computer.
    getting some crashes with Windows Explorer when attempting to right-click a folder in an explorer window after Spybot 2.0 RC1 was installed, with or without Spybot's "Windows Explorer" integration installed/enabled.

uninstalling Spybot 2.0 RC1 from Vista seem to gotten rid of the Windows Explorer crashes when right-clicking on a folder. the problem doesn't seem to occur on my WinXP and Win7 machines as I couldn't reproduce the problem on those two computers.