Thread: Babylon woes

Default Babylon woes

I'm a newbie and not very computer savvy so unfortunately cannot follow the instructions for removing the Babylon toolbar which is driving me completely NUTS ! Any help would be enormously well received here in London England !
    I'm running Windows 7 Home Premium and Firefox on a Toshiba Satellite C670D laptop.
    Tried to uninstal Babylon via control panel - no luck. So downloaded
    Spybot S&D - which identifies Babylon toolbar - but then tells me I am not an administrator so cannot remove the programe. When I go into control panel toi check - I AM the administrator - though I cancelled my password and then re-entered one to make sure it was not corrupted in any way. Still Spybot tells me I AM NOT !! Is Babylon screwing this as well ???
    Your instructions about using Windows Explorer to identify certain files completely lost me - I don't know what windows explorer is or where to find it and I need to know EXACTLY what to type in where I am afraid ! Do hope you can give me step by step instructions to free me from the insidious Babylon !!!!
    Last edited by tashi; 2012-07-07 at 21:15. Reason: Moved from malware forum

Hello likaleica
    Quote Originally Posted by likaleica View Post
    Spybot S&D - which identifies Babylon toolbar - but then tells me I am not an administrator so cannot remove the programe. When I go into control panel toi check - I AM the administrator - though I cancelled my password and then re-entered one to make sure it was not corrupted in any way. Still Spybot tells me I AM NOT !! Is Babylon screwing this as well ???
    Please see: Run as Administrator

On Windows Vista and Windows 7, Spybot-S&D might tell you that you are not authorized to perform some actions, since they require Administrator rights. You can solve this problem as follows:

1. Right-click the Spybot - Search & Destroy entry in your start menu, instead of just left-clicking to start it.
    2. Choose Run as administrator from the context menu.

To post in the Malware Removal Forum please see this FAQ "BEFORE You POST"(Please read this Procedure Before Requesting Assistance)

Cheers,
    Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2018-
    Windows Insider MVP 2016-2018
    Microsoft Consumer Security MVP 2006-2016

Default Babylon woes continue !

Thanks for the advice. Unfortunately even "run as adminstrator" does not allow Spybot to fix the Babylon problem. After the Spybot search I get an error message again saying I am not an administrator and that the detected programme may be running (in memory). This Babylon is pretty detemined niot to be deleted isn't it ? Does anyone know where i can go from here please ?

Hi likaleica,
    Does anyone know where i can go from here please ?
    Quote Originally Posted by tashi View Post
    Then start a new topic in that forum providing the logs as shown in post #2 of the FAQ.

Best regards,

Default Babylon woes

Hi Tashi -I will post in the malware removal section as you suggest and have read the FAQ -but I am having issues downloading dds. When I try to run the program, what claims to be my Kaspersky (though looks strange) pops up and says "dds does squat.", that it is a 6 month old program and fewer than 1000 Kaspersky users have downloaded it. I therefore blocked the download. I read in another babylon post on here that certain maleware/viruses can block the download of DDS....is this what is happening? Would be grateful for advice and a link to the best source of dds please.

Hello likaleica,
    When I try to run the program, what claims to be my Kaspersky (though looks strange) pops up and says "dds does squat.", that it is a 6 month old program and fewer than 1000 Kaspersky users have downloaded it.
    Sounds like you may have more than a toolbar problem.
    If the infection prevents DDS from running, or being copy/pasted, please start a topic and make note of the situation, provide details of the computer's current symptoms and wait for a response
    http://forums.spybot.info/showpost.p...50&postcount=2

You can also provide a link back to this topic for reference please.

Edit
    http://forums.spybot.info/showthread...107#post428107