Thread: Spybot-S&D torrent

Question Spybot-S&D torrent

The tracker for the Spybot-S&D (release candidate) torrent, tracker.ccc.de, at the Chaos Computer Club (in Germany) is not reachable via UDP from my ISP in the United States most of the time. My instance of BitTorrent can go many, many hours (sometimes days) without contacting the tracker. To resolve this problem, I added an additional tracker tier address, http://tracker.ccc.de:80/announce. Is adding this statefull TCP connection every 28:30 (minutes:seconds) a problem?

We are not sure what is your issue. The torrent runs fine. There is no difficulty at the moment.

My instance of BitTorrent can, and has, gone for days without reaching the tracker via UDP. CCC is the only tracker I have that uses UDP. CCC works fine when I specify HTTP instead of UDP.

The system in question is eighteen hops from Chaos Computer Club and datagrams just are not getting across. I suspect, but cannot prove, that the datagrams are being dropped when they hit the trans-Atlantic link to Europe. There is a 100+ millisecond delay (and a bottleneck?) when it leaves New York. I see an eight millisecond delay from the exit point to when a packet reaches CCC.

In contrast, from Durham, NC, it takes nineteen milliseconds and thirty-four milliseconds to Charlotte, NC and New York respectively. Then again, the problem could be here with my ISP. Any suggestions, or tools, on how to check where the datagrams are actually disappearing would be appreciated!