Thread: What is DDS from sUBs?

Default What is DDS from sUBs?

Hi.

I was asked to install DDS but Jack&Jill forgot to say what DDS is. I can not find any information about DDS on this forum and the topic where I got the advice is closed. I do not suspect it may be a bad program, I just need to know what I'm downloading/installing before I do it. I'll go nowhere blindfolded.

What is DDS?
    Who are sUBs, what's their real name (not acronym)?
    Last edited by tashi; 2012-09-02 at 07:49. Reason: Moved from Analysis Tools, plus various small utilities

Hello Lancelot,
    Quote Originally Posted by Lancelot View Post
    Hi.

I was asked to install DDS but Jack&Jill forgot to say what DDS is. I can not find any information about DDS on this forum and the topic where I got the advice is closed. I do not suspect it may be a bad program, I just need to know what I'm downloading/installing before I do it. I'll go nowhere blindfolded.
    Your last topic in the malware forum was posted Nov 4th, 2010.
    http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?t=60270
    What is DDS?
    Malware forum FAQ: "BEFORE You POST"(Please read this Procedure Before Requesting Assistance)
    Instructions in post #2 on how to provide the preliminary DDS/aswMBR logs used for analysis.

http://forums.spybot.info/showpost.p...50&postcount=2

Who are sUBs, what's their real name (not acronym)?
    A well known developer in the security community of volunteers and that is the name he goes by.

Best regards,
    Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2018-
    Windows Insider MVP 2016-2018
    Microsoft Consumer Security MVP 2006-2016

Quote Originally Posted by tashi View Post
    Hello Lancelot,

Your last topic in the malware forum was posted Nov 4th, 2010.
    http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?t=60270

Malware forum FAQ: "BEFORE You POST"(Please read this Procedure Before Requesting Assistance)
    Instructions in post #2 on how to provide the preliminary DDS/aswMBR logs used for analysis.

http://forums.spybot.info/showpost.p...50&postcount=2

A well known developer in the security community of volunteers and that is the name he goes by.

Best regards,
    Thank you, tashi.

I had actually been at the "BEFORE You POST...." thread. There are instructions on how to use DDS but it doesn't say anything about the tool. I was thinking "DDS" is an acronym and I was interested in knowing the full name, but maybe DDS is the full name. I don't have to know so much about it, but I hoped to find a brief description somewhere which would be easier if I had more than three characters to google.

And I thought sUBs was short for a company name, not a nickname to a person.

I didn't come back last year because I forgot about the whole thing. I forgot that Spybot had found "Win32.Bifrost" and wasn't reminded before I accidentally found my old topic now. I apologize.
    I've not had any symptoms or strange happenings until now recently, when Norton AntiVirus/AutoProtect suddenly malfunctioned, and my PC hung during booting on one occasion. But everything seems to work okay right now. It could be hardware issues but who knows.

I'm sorry for taking of your valuable time with my "unimportant" questions. I just feel a need to know and understand things, maybe more than necessary.

Hello Lancelot,

No question is unimportant. Of interest.

Best regards,

Thanks for the link. I see DDS is a "secret" tool with no public information about it. Not what I hoped but there's nothing to do about it.

I'm not sure if I should post a DDS log, my antivirus is currently working and found nothing on a scan, and I just ran Spybot S&D today and it found no malware. Your team probably have enough to do, I think I better wait until I know I got a problem.

Maybe the "Win32.Bifrost registry key" Spybot detected November 2010 (my other thread) was a false positive.

BTW, I see you're rated with 18 LASSHes. What's that? Not lashes?
    Last edited by Lancelot; 2012-09-03 at 04:55.

Hello Lancelot,

As you can see in the malware forum every user provides the preliminary logs for analysis without incident.

I'm not sure if I should post a DDS log, my antivirus is currently working and found nothing on a scan, and I just ran Spybot S&D today and it found no malware. Your team probably have enough to do, I think I better wait until I know I got a problem.
    Right, if the computer isn't showing signs of infection no need to start a topic in the malware forum.
    Maybe the "Win32.Bifrost registry key" Spybot detected November 2010 (my other thread) was a false positive.
    Perhaps, no way of knowing two years later.

BTW, I see you're rated with 18 LASSHes. What's that? Not lashes?
    http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?t=30443