Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Getting An "Framedyn.dll" Error. What Is This?

Default Getting An "Framedyn.dll" Error. What Is This?

Hello;

Every time I start Spybot 1.4 a window pops up that says:

"This application has failed to start because Framedyn.dll was not found. Re-installing the application may fix this problem".

(See Attachment)

I click OK then Spybot 1.4 starts up and seems to run normal. I have re-installed it but I still get the same pop-up at start-up. Does anyone know what's going on here and how to fix this? I'm lost. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers!!! :beerbeerb

Scott

Spybot Advisor Team [Retired] md usa spybot fan's Avatar

The problem is usually caused by a bad path. Please read the following Microsoft Knowledge base article:
    "Application Has Failed to Start Because Framedyn.dll Was Not Found" Error Message When You Open the System Properties Dialog Box
    http://support.microsoft.com/default...b;en-us;319114

There is also a lengthy discussion about the problem here:
    Framedyn.dll Can't Be Found, Error when starting SB
    http://net-integration.us/forums/ind...howtopic=20893

Getting an answer is one thing, learning is another.

Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition running on a 2.40GHz Intel® Pentium® 4 Processor with 512 MB of RAM and a 533 MHz System Bus.

I just had the same problem on my PC and after reading the microsoft article I noticed one slight difference in my Path Variable. The W in wbem was a Capital W instead of lower case w. Simply changing the W to a w fixed the problem.

%SystemRoot%\system32;%SystemRoot%;%SystemRoot%\System32\Wbem = Problem
    %SystemRoot%\system32;%SystemRoot%;%SystemRoot%\System32\wbem = Problem Solved

Esteemed Member

Though you did 'fix' the problem, it wasn't the case, since system variables aren't case sensitive. You did, however, find a simpler way to fix the problem than we've used in the past.

The actual problem is that the 'Type' of registry value is incorrect, which leads to the failure of the Path variable even though it appears to be valid. Since the Type information is only visible in a registry editor, you can't see it in the Environment Variables view you were using. However, doing anything to change the Path variable will fix this, since the Type will be corrected when it is saved.

In the past we've recommended changing or removing one character and then changing it back, a two step process, but your idea of changing one character's case does it in one. In the future, I will suggest this method instead.

Thanks for the idea.
    Bitman

Thumbs up

Had the same problem :( but did some google and came by a website where some sayed "And I think you'll just put it into "%SystemRoot%\system32""

I did but it in to "%SystemRoot%\system32" and *Drums plz* and nomore "This application has failed to start because Framedyn.dll was not found. Re-installing the application may fix this problem"

Esteemed Member

The framedyn.dll file doesn't belong in the System32 folder, so this could create problems down the road. The reason this worked was that the System32 folder is in the path, so the file was found during initialization, avoiding the error message but not fixing the real problem.

If you want to truly fix the problem, delete the copy you placed in the System32 folder and follow the correct instructions above. Otherwise, if this file is ever updated you will have an outdated invalid version in the path and could have problems with System Restore, which framedyn.dll supports.

Okay, having same problem as above, but I do not have the Framedyn.dll in my dll cache. Also in the instructions from Microsoft the last line AI see is to Right click on the file and copy. which I understand, you're copying the finle into the clipboard, but the next line reads simply click Start tne click Run, and stops there.

Help please.

BAColeNC:

The following article:

Reads:

"Application Has Failed to Start Because Framedyn.dll Was Not Found" Error Message When You Open the System Properties Dialog Box
    View products that this article applies to.
    Article ID : 319114
    Last Review : November 4, 2003
    Revision : 1.0
    This article was previously published under Q319114
    On This Page

SYMPTOMS

CAUSE

RESOLUTION

Replace the Framedyn.dll File

Verify System Variables
    SYMPTOMS
    When you double-click System in Control Panel, or when you right-click My Computer and then click Properties, you may receive the following error message:
    rundll32.exe - Unable To Locate Component

This application has failed to start because framedyn.dll was not found. Re-installing the application may fix this problem.
    Back to the top

CAUSE
    This behavior can occur if either of the following conditions is true: • The %SYSTEMROOT%\System32\Wbem\framedyn.dll file is missing or damaged.

-or-
    • The Windows Path environment variable does not point to the %SYSTEMROOT%\System32\Wbem folder.

Back to the top

RESOLUTION
    To resolve this issue, use both of the following methods.
    Back to the top

Replace the Framedyn.dll File
    1. Click Start, and then click Run.
    2. In the Open box, type %systemroot%\system32\dllcache, and then click OK.
    3. Right-click framedyn.dll, and then click Copy on the shortcut menu that appears.
    4. Click Start, and then click Run.
    5. In the Open box, type %systemroot%\system32\wbem, and then click OK.
    6. On the Edit menu, click Paste. If you are prompted to replace the existing file, click Yes.

Back to the top

Verify System Variables
    1. Click Start, right-click My Computer, and then click Properties on the shortcut menu that appears. If you receive the following error message, click OK:

This application has failed to start because framedyn.dll was not found. Re-installing the application may fix this problem.
    2. In the System Properties dialog box, click the Advanced tab.
    3. Click Environment Variables.
    4. Under System variables, click Path, and then click Edit.

NOTE: If no Path variable is listed, click New. In the Variable name box, type Path.
    5. In the Variable value box, type the following:
    %SystemRoot%\system32;%SystemRoot%;%SystemRoot%\System32\wbem
    6. Click OK three times (each time that you have the option).
    If %systemroot%\system32\wbem\Framedyn.dll is there just fix the path.

Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition running on a 2.40GHz Intel® Pentium® 4 Processor with 512 MB of RAM and a 533 MHz System Bus.

Thank you for the compete instructions. However I have another problem. The Framedyn.dll does not exist in my dll cache. Is there a way to get one?

Quote Originally Posted by md usa spybot fan View Post
    If %systemroot%\system32\wbem\Framedyn.dll is there just fix the path.
    Does Windows\system32\wbem\Framedyn.dll exist?

If so, don't worry about %systemroot%\system32\dllcache. Just fix the path statement:

Verify System Variables
    1. Click Start, right-click My Computer, and then click Properties on the shortcut menu that appears. If you receive the following error message, click OK:

2. In the System Properties dialog box, click the Advanced tab.
    3. Click Environment Variables.
    4. Under System variables, click Path, and then click Edit.

NOTE: If no Path variable is listed, click New. In the Variable name box, type Path.
    5. In the Variable value box, type the following:
    %SystemRoot%\system32;%SystemRoot%;%SystemRoot%\System32\wbem
    6. Click OK three times (each time that you have the option).