Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Major problems with 9-26-2012 update file

Default Major problems with 9-26-2012 update file

Yesterday, September 26, 2012, I updated my Spybot 1.6.2 as I do every Wednesday. I usually choose the Giganet mirror from the list of update sites, but it was not on the list yesterday so I chose SecurityWonks.net#1 (USA). There was only 1 file listed which was a 2MB file, which I downloaded and was installed. I rebooted into Safe Mode and ran my scan. It came back clean, so I rebooted. At this point, when the computer restarted it could not boot into Windows. It just goes into an endless loop of restarts once it gets to the point where Windows would normally load and take you to the desktop screen.

I cannot get into Safe Mode either as it does the same thing of the endless reboot. The first computer this happened on was a family member's which I had updated. I did not know there was a problem at that point because after I did the scan and rebooted, I left. It was a short time later when I was told that their computer was doing this continuous reboot thing and at that time I didn't know that the Spybot update was the cause.

When I got home I had to update my Spybot and do my weekly scan, so I did, and the exact same thing has happened to my computer. I updated from the same SecurityWonks.net#1 (USA) mirror and after the scan was complete and I rebooted, my computer is doing the same endless reboot that my family member's computer is doing. The operating systems for the 2 computers are XP Home and XP Pro, both with SP3.

It appears that the 2MB Spybot update file on the SecurityWonks.net#1 mirror for September 26, 2012 is infected with a virus or malware or is corrupted in some way and now I have 2 computers that I cannot use at the moment. Can you look into this immediately and let me know how to proceed to correct this as I have two computers that I cannot use at this time as a result of this issue.
    This is the blue screen error message I get:

Stop c000021a {Fatal System Error}
    The Windows Logon Process system process terminated unexpectedly with a status of
    0xc0000135 (0x00000000 0x00000000) The system has shut down.

quirky1 on the Anandtech security forum is also having this issue "I have the same problem after downloading and scanning with Spybot. In my case the update file was downloaded from Safer-Networking mirror #2 and the resulting status code is 0x00000080. There is yet no mention of this problem in the Safer-Networking Forums. It appears Spybot has corrupted something. I don't understand how a simple scan with no problems found can cause this..."

Hello buck8,

Your topic has been flagged for attention.

Different time zones so a detective will respond when on-line.

Best regards.
    Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2018-
    Windows Insider MVP 2016-2018
    Microsoft Consumer Security MVP 2006-2016

Hello,

We are very sorry that this has happened.
    Our detection team has researched this issue and it seems that there was one detection rule and especially one file in our Wednesday's detection update that seems to have triggered the problem. This one file did delete a Windows system file. When you do a scan in normal mode everything should be fine and the file is being replaced by Windows.
    But if you do a scan in safe mode it isn't, hence the booting problems.
    As this only happens in safe mode, with Windows XP and SP3 we did not notice this problem immediately. So as soon as we did we created a new update that should fix this issue. Due to the booting problems you can not download it easily like our other users. So we would like to offer you our Spybot-S&D Boot CD for free. With this CD which is available as ISO download (if you have the possibility to download it on another pc and create a CD) you should be able to boot your PC again and download the updates. As we have your contact data we will send you an e-mail with this fix. We again deeply apologize for this issue.

Best regards
    Sandra
    Team Spybot

Default winlogon bsod after spybot update Septermber 27th 2012

Hi,

I appear to have the same as buck8

I ran a Spybot s+d scan yesterday (27th September) around 6pm UK time in normal mode. I am running a fully updated XP.

After the scan (which appeared clean) I got a windows dialog box about a dll having been deleted ; I seem to remember it had 'help' in the filename. I got a dialog box asking me to put the XP CD into the drive to restore the deleted files. Of course I did not have the windows XP CD to hand, and had to close the dialog box.

I rebooted and got the blue screen of death with the error : "windows logon process terminated unexpectedly" . This is so in safe mode and debugging mode. The disk looks clean to a windows chkdsk triggered from linux and as reported by the SMART metrics on the disk and memtest86 passes the machine, so I think this was the Spybot update.

Have you any suggestions?

Thanks,

Matthew Brett

Unhappy

Quote Originally Posted by buck8 View Post
    Yesterday, September 26, 2012, I updated my Spybot 1.6.2 as I do every Wednesday. I usually choose the Giganet mirror from the list of update sites, but it was not on the list yesterday so I chose SecurityWonks.net#1 (USA). There was only 1 file listed which was a 2MB file, which I downloaded and was installed. I rebooted into Safe Mode and ran my scan. It came back clean, so I rebooted. At this point, when the computer restarted it could not boot into Windows. It just goes into an endless loop of restarts once it gets to the point where Windows would normally load and take you to the desktop screen.

I cannot get into Safe Mode either as it does the same thing of the endless reboot. The first computer this happened on was a family member's which I had updated. I did not know there was a problem at that point because after I did the scan and rebooted, I left. It was a short time later when I was told that their computer was doing this continuous reboot thing and at that time I didn't know that the Spybot update was the cause.

When I got home I had to update my Spybot and do my weekly scan, so I did, and the exact same thing has happened to my computer. I updated from the same SecurityWonks.net#1 (USA) mirror and after the scan was complete and I rebooted, my computer is doing the same endless reboot that my family member's computer is doing. The operating systems for the 2 computers are XP Home and XP Pro, both with SP3.

It appears that the 2MB Spybot update file on the SecurityWonks.net#1 mirror for September 26, 2012 is infected with a virus or malware or is corrupted in some way and now I have 2 computers that I cannot use at the moment. Can you look into this immediately and let me know how to proceed to correct this as I have two computers that I cannot use at this time as a result of this issue.
    This is the blue screen error message I get:

Stop c000021a {Fatal System Error}
    The Windows Logon Process system process terminated unexpectedly with a status of
    0xc0000135 (0x00000000 0x00000000) The system has shut down.

quirky1 on the Anandtech security forum is also having this issue "I have the same problem after downloading and scanning with Spybot. In my case the update file was downloaded from Safer-Networking mirror #2 and the resulting status code is 0x00000080. There is yet no mention of this problem in the Safer-Networking Forums. It appears Spybot has corrupted something. I don't understand how a simple scan with no problems found can cause this..."
    I've got the same problem with Windows XP SP2 with the last Spybot update, (excuse me for my poor english, I'm french)
    All details are on my forum (with print screen) here . The problem is detected with two differents computers (one of these was safe) after this update.
    The scan is in normal mode, the result is the same, taskbar don't work and windows Logon KO. Blue screen.
    When I erase windows partition (secure erase) and install a new version, it's ok (antivirus etc) and when I install Spybot with the last Update. I scan the computer and spybot find "fake.Adobe.zusy". After computer not responding with Hotkeys ctrl+alt+del (windows dialog box say: ws2help.dll is not found) The end is the same result of buck8, Boot is full corrupt and we can't use Windows Safe Boot.
    Thanks to help us, I use Spybot since 2004.

Hello Andi & Matthew,

You should receive your ISO within the next hour.

Best regards
    Sandra
    Team Spybot

Thanks - the iso resolved the issue for me.

Matthew

matthew.brett- I have not been successful in getting the issue resolved yet, even with the use of the iso. Could you tell me the steps you took in getting the iso/boot cd to resolve the problem for you?

Thanks in advance for any help with this.

Also, Thank You!! to Sandra and the Spybot team for addressing this so quickly.
    Last edited by buck8; 2012-09-28 at 20:33.

I am also unable to boot up my PC after scanning with Spybot, not even in Safe Mode. The machine in question is running Windows 2000 SP4 with all updates applied. The scan was done on Sep 27th in normal mode but the deleted system file was not restored since Windows 2000 does not have the 'copy back' feature that XP has. The stop and status codes are c000021a and 0x00000080.

1. Which system file was deleted? Was it ws2help.dll?
    2. Do I need to manually copy the file from somewhere back into the system32 directory?
    3. Will the ISO solution work for me? (I can guess but I'm not sure what that involves.)

Please provide detailed instructions for recovery, including procedures, file names and locations that are involved. I'm not as technically proficient as others in this forum. Thanks in advance.

Default It's Ok !!

It's nice, the problem is resolved with your Iso Thanks! After a boot with this disk, Spybot scan my hard-drive (without malicious detection) and finally Windows Boot OK ! It's now ok for me.