Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Major problems with 9-26-2012 update file

Default It got me too...

Alas, it appears that it got me too. I had three XP Pro sp3 machines set up to automatically update and scan for problems. On two of the machines, I was able to roll them back a week with system restore, then update the file, then shut down and reboot. On the third one, for some reason someone shut it off; now xp refuses to boot, I get the fatal error, I can't start in safe mode, and I can't even run recovery console. Worse yet, the 1.6.2 bootable cd iso does not appear to ba available. I installed 2.0 rc2 on the other two machines, but the option to create a bootable cd doesn't work. I think I'm gonna need some help.

Thanks,
    John

Default And another one.

I have the same problem with my XP machine after updating last Thursday (September 27th). I would be very happy if you can send me the ISO image of the boot CD.

Regards,
    Peter

We'll also create one for you too: Bot, John and Pieter.

Default Live CD

Please i would like to receive the link to download de LIVE CD to fix this problem. I have run the update and cannot acces Windows anymore.

Thanks in advance.

You've got mail.

An update:

I managed to fix my Windows 2000 machine using the Recovery Console found on the Windows CD. Once in the console, copy ws2help.dll from system32\dllcache to system32, then exit to reboot. A couple of questions:
    1. During the recovery process I found a file named ws2helpxp.dll in system32. It is identical to ws2help.dll byte for byte. Did Spybot rename rather than delete ws2help?
    2. I've downloaded the latest Spybot detection rules but have not done a scan. Is it now safe to do so?

By the way, I was wrong about Windows 2000 not having a 'copy back' feature. The event log shows that it tried to restore the file but failed because it couldn't verify the version of the file that had been deleted. (i.e. Event ID 64004, error code 0x800b0003)

Sandra, I received your email. I hope I'll still receive the ISO for my trouble. It may come in handy in the future.

Hello,

As far as I know the file was deleted.
    Perhaps it is some kind of backup file or it is there due to the recovery process.
    The additional update that we did release is fixed and does not have this issue.
    So you can safely update.
    I will write you an e-mail regarding the ISO.

Best regards
    Sandra
    Team Spybot

update:

bot604- Thanks for the tip on ws2help.dll. The iso file that SpybotSandra provided me with was successful for 1 of the 2 computers that I have that were impacted by this issue. The second computer was not fixed by the iso, but I was able to manually replace the ws2help.dll, as per your post, and that restored it's ability to boot once again.

One difference for me was that I did not have a copy of the ws2help.dll in my
    system32\dllcache folder. I had to get it from my XP disc.

Thanks to all!

buck8, Did you find ws2helpxp.dll in system32? If so, you may want to compare that version with the one you restored from CD to see which is more current.

I also have the fatal error blue screen and looping reboot of Win xp pro/sp3 after updating Spybot and running scan. What do I need to do? thanks!