Thread: I could have a virus or a malware, hidden folders, desktop shortcuts, etc..

Default I could have a virus or a malware, hidden folders, desktop shortcuts, etc..

Please, I would greatly appreciate if you can help to solve this problem. I ran spybot 1.6.2 after updating the virus database, and firstly crash with an error for the archive dialer.sbi, and later if founds some threats that finally won't be fixed (it asked for running spybot at reboot). Once I have finished to close the program, restarted, all my desktop and start menu programs disappeared, also, some folders and programs. The icons on the status bar are missing too and when I try to click on them it says that it can´t be open cause it has been moved and so, and ask me for deleting it.

I have try some online antivirus scanners, malware programs, but nothing could help me until now.

Thanks in advance,

Victor
    Last edited by tashi; 2012-11-06 at 17:37. Reason: Moved from malware forum at this time

Hello Humboldt,

Please see this thread

Can you check to see if your files and folders are marked as hidden and if you can un-hide them.

Best regards.
    Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2018-
    Windows Insider MVP 2016-2018
    Microsoft Consumer Security MVP 2006-2016

Hello Tashi,

Thanks for your reply. I have read the thread you suggested and it's quite similar to mine, but now I got another problem. My OS crashed yesterday (blue screen) and I wouldn't be able to get back, so, now I don't know how to follow on....just get on patience and wait for a solution. Which application Martin in Preston used to kill the virus?

Again, very appreciated for your advices, hope to read your messages soon,

Victor

Hello Victor,

What is the operating system please.
    Quote Originally Posted by Humboldt View Post
    I have try some online antivirus scanners, malware programs, but nothing could help me until now.
    Did you run Spybot-S&D before or after?

Which scanners and programs did you run and was anything flagged or removed by them?

What security software was already installed on the computer?

Best regards.

Hi Tashi,

I forgot to give you that details:

Security Soft: Windows Defender

I ran Spybot just before get infected by the virus/malware (v. 1.6.2, updated with the last virus DB), and there were some initial problems during the scanning: a window popped up saying that an error ocurred with dialer.sbi and a threat was found, then the scan finished and when trying to fix that only threat it showed up an alert that it was not possible to fixed it up and asking me to restart the pc for fixing the problem by running spybot once restarted.

This was the first incidence, cause, while rebooting, the system prompted a chkdsk command, I accepted, and there were some actions very suspicious (deleting, moving...), when finished and restarted, I got surprised, background dissapeared, programms in the start menu and some folders were gone without a clear reason for me.

Later on, I tried running AVIRA, but it was disabled, so no other possibility that begin to surf the web looking for solutions.

Also, I ran ccleaner, malwarebytes antimalware and the panda online scanner.

Finally, I created a CDLive Kaspesky Rescue Disc to perform a booting scan but without success, didnt' find the virus/malware that is getting me crazy...!

A blue screen appeared in the last session and since then I can´t start w7.

Best regards,

Victor

Hello Victor,
    Quote Originally Posted by Humboldt View Post
    A blue screen appeared in the last session and since then I can´t start w7.
    Have you tried a Startup Repair?

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/w...s-in-Windows-7

Hello Tashi,

I can't use the repair option, it doesn't shows up, so, formatting is a most clear option to apply of. Just tell me if there are any other solutions, and I forgot to tell you that I have windows XP installed in another partition, therefore, I could use this OS for arranging or doing something into the pc.

Best regards,

Victor

Hello Victor,

Could you register and start a topic at What The Tech so a volunteer tech can try to help you get your operating system up and running before looking into any malware issues.

Please provide them with a link back to this thread.

Start here: Microsoft Windows™

Best regards.