Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Spybot 2 is finally here!

Angry SpyBot 2

Have just upgraded from 1.6 to 2... and problems! - MS Word 2003 backups deleted... MS Word 2003 settings altered... Screen freeze on opening up user panel... my system Dell Vostro 1710, Vista SP2

Hello,

Could it be that you fixed all items that were found in a scan including usage tracks?
    If you want to keep such stuff you can exclude those items from future scans:
    How to exclude products from the search?
    To fix any problems you have after performing a scan with Spybot you can use the Quarantine function
    in the Start Center which helps you to recover deleted items.

Best regards
    Sandra
    Team Spybot

Unhappy

First, I must say that I appreciate all of the efforts of the Spybot team. You guys have made a very valuable tool that many people have come to rely on through the years.

I reviewed Spybot - S&D 2 today and was both impressed and disappointed. What impressed me is that there are many new and powerful tools included with ver. 2, however what left me disappointed is the disjointed user interface. All of the tools appearing in a different window just seems like a giant step backward. While ver. 1.6's user interface wasn't the pinnacle of greatness, it was more organised and gave the program a friendlier feel.

Just my three and two-quarters centavos...

Will B.

Default Upgrade(?) = A Downgrade & then Uninstalled

Quote Originally Posted by johnwrites View Post
    It is the worst and most confusing update of a program i have ever seen.
    I must agree 100%. After using Spybot for years, feeling safer and recommending it to all others, I am now uninstalling and forgetting it for the first time ever. This is a classic case of a supposed upgrade actually being a major downgrade, at least with keeping the end user in mind. A fantastic program which was once easy to use now has me totally confused and wondering, "WTF?"

I'm sure the devs are deaf to any such remarks for they likely see themselves as only perfect, but this "upgrade" should go back to the drawing board. The program becomes entirely useless when it's uninstalled vs. being at least merely okay when the former version would have remained installed. Goodbye, Spybot. I'll remember the good times, but not the present god-awful mess you've become.

Installed Spybot 2 Free edition on 2 computers - 1 running Win 7 x64 and the other Win 8 x64.

All browsers closed. On both computers Immunization does nothing. It acts like it immunizes - the numbers move to the green (Protected) column, but after I re-open it they are again all in the Unprocessed column. Running the program or just the Immunization as Admin does nothing.

Last edited by Locuus; 2012-12-16 at 22:44.

Default Why?

Been a spybot users for years. Just downloaded 2. to my 'new to me' laptop.

Um what the heck? A bit suprised when I opened. Seems to work-scanned files but will be uninstalling. Redesigned by Ipad users? Bought out by Google? Guess I should consider the non inclusion of the ribbon interface a plus. But serioulsy..
    Simply dont understand motivation for the interface change especially way results are shown. Breifly looked around to see what new release was trying to accomplish but didnt see anything. Noted previous version 1.6 still downloadable so i'll try that for a while-sad imo.

Hello,

Immunization:
    If you think nothing has been immunized, please make sure you have clicked on “Check system” which can be found on the navigation bar on the left. This will check for already applied immunization.

The system is still immunized when you close Spybot.
    In order to see it you just need to manually "Check System". We will improve this feature, that it will automatically do this once you open the immunization. This should avoid misunderstandings.

Interface:
    In our discussions with our users we realised at an early stage that they wanted a more modern user interface. We believe we have managed to create a new front end in our Start Center that has a clean look while proving easy access to many additional new features and tools.

Best regards
    Sandra
    Team Spybot

Unhappy Fear and trepidation regarding "upgrading".

Now, I know the 1.6.2 was released as freeware on a strange type of license, regarding unrequited love (very cool), but 2.0.x having nag screens? Even seeing that in the download turned me off.

As the author of a true blue GPL V.2 security application (php based), I understand that contributions may not come as fast, or as much as one would like. However, this new intrusion, plus the lack of a real-time scanning/system protection agent, has me very, very unsure about upgrading. I find it very sad to see a great "free" application, has become shareware (subtype nagware). I hope any profits now made from it, are divided amongst those who put so much effort into the detection rules that were brought over from 1.X, under the guise of supporting a community effort/free application.

As for now, I am sticking with 1.6.2, backed by other products, and am looking for true, free alternatives (which may be an impossibility).
    73 from AE7EC